Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catch This

Clash 4000 Drag issue

7 posts in this topic

I purcased Penn Clash 4000 in the spring 2016 and used only once in 2016. I used it a couple times this year, no dunkings. The only time it got wet was during after trip clean up.  Went to use it last week and immediately noticed an issue with the drag.  I can set the drag loosely, but as line is taken, the drag tightens up to the point of lockdown. I do note the drag knob turns with the spool as drag is pulled, thus automatically tightening against itself.

I am at a loss for what is causing this. Suggestions?

Sounds like you may have a dry drag knob seal.  Try removing the seal to see if you can still replicate the problem, if you cannot either replace the seal or try adding some oil and grease before re-installing.  Part # 53S.

tony

Tony,

I was able to remove the seal no issue and I applied a liberal amount of Penn Grease. The problem exists. I took the drag knob apart and lubbed the innards up with Penn Grease.  The problem still exists. I opened the drag stack and applied Cals drag grease. The problem still exists.   As the line is pulled off the reel as is "taking drag" the drag knob turns with the spool tightening the drag.  I surrender...any other suggestions or should I just send it in?

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, Catch This said:

Tony,

I was able to remove the seal no issue and I applied a liberal amount of Penn Grease. The problem exists. I took the drag knob apart and lubbed the innards up with Penn Grease.  The problem still exists. I opened the drag stack and applied Cals drag grease. The problem still exists.   As the line is pulled off the reel as is "taking drag" the drag knob turns with the spool tightening the drag.  I surrender...any other suggestions or should I just send it in?

Yes,

Recommended to send it in with a detailed explanation of the issue you are having.

tony

The reel was sent to Penn for service and returned.  I am adding this post in case anyone else has this problem.  The issue was part 39B was missing.  This is a small pin on the main shaft. It must have fallen out when I took to spool off for cleaning. The pin is so small, I did not notice it not being there.

Kudos to Tony and the Penn Service team for the “pain free” and fast turnaround. 

thanks for posting the fix. I am reading all the Slammer 3 threads today. I have a 7500, 5500, and a 4500 and will be cleaning them this week. I am really interested to see how the 4500 looks. I fished the heck out of it last year.