nickd9283

Van Staal no more Lefty support?!?

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

That is true but I think I may have gone off on a separate tangent from my original focus. I guess my main point was not so much smaller internal changes but why no official release. Even on the social media accounts that often hint to newer models. Van Staal basically put a link to a popular vendor in their story basically saying “lefty reels available now here”. No announcement, specs, why they are about an oz heavier, etc. Doesn’t seem like smart business practice, as a lefty could have just bought a used VS, Visser, or delt with reeling with their off hand instead of pre-ordering or purchasing a actual left handed model since no real acknowledgement. Or even for a righty buying the “old model” at full retail only to find out for the same price a newer generation was about to be released. But then again since most of the stated “changes” are coming from tackle shops this could all be BS and the only real difference is the color. 

Actually found a statement from TheSaltWaterEdge

”The Van Staal VR Spinning Reels were upgraded in several key areas for 2021, continuing the legendary tradition Van Staal has with its sealed, durable, and lightweight reels.  Like the original, the 2021 VR-Series is fully sealed and submersible, perfect for the angler taking on the elements in the pursuit of beasts that lurk our waters.  These reels are forged and machined from 6061-T6 aluminum, with skeletonized cut-outs throughout the spool, body, and rotor to assist with reducing the weight of the reel.  A MicroClick™ drag adjustment knob allows for easy and more finetuned adjustment, giving the angler greater control of their gear and the drag ratings they put towards the fish.

For 2021, these reels gained a little weight for the right reasons.  A thicker stainless steel main shaft was added, which reduces the flex of the reel under the load of a hard-fighting fish.  Improvements were also made to the sealing of the reel, continuing the VS status with taking on adverse environments. 

The 2021 VR also takes on new models and Van Staal once again has a true lefty reel in the lineup!  Models VR151, VR151B, VR201, and VR201B consist of a right-hand retrieve setup.  These are true lefty reel, with the rotor spinning in the counter-clockwise position with every turn of the handle.

The VR is often chosen by the fisherman who wants the ability to switch between a bailed reel and bail-less option.  It suits itself well from the beach, boat, jetty, and just about any salty environment that you could throw at it.  With a fast retrieve speed, beefy drag, and large line capacity, this reel is meant for the saltwater fish that exist from coast to coast and beyond.”

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think these changes and any small tweaks made along the way are a welcome part of any progressive companies ongoing product development.   I also don't think a reels name or designation should change every time a change is made.  As fishing enthusiasts we tend to do this on our own. (Gen 1, Gen 2 etc).

I imagine these changes reflect Van Staals' effort to stay ahead of other market entries that offer lightweight, water resistant reels in a choice of finish as well as being lefty friendly.  It also looks like Van Staal does actually take consumer issues seriously and doesn't just sit back and enjoy what has been the companies best seller the last few years.

I have ZB's, a VSX, a Torque and other high end surf reels that are great, but the VR has been my go-to since first introduced.  The reels lightweight, ability to change spools/rotors, bailed and bailess option and easy self service features are important to me. There have been minor issues for me along the way but they have been minor and correctable.

(Line roller and handle knob).

I'm looking forward to seeing a professional and unbiased review of the new VR Generation 2!

Edited by recoil

5 mins ago, fishunt727 said:

are they making the lefty in the vr50 size. i didnt see that listed. really would love a lefty in the vr 50 size.

All spec are on pure fishing site, kinus the reels being for sale

6 mins ago, fishunt727 said:

are they making the lefty in the vr50 size. i didnt see that listed. really would love a lefty in the vr 50 size.

For right now, it looks like the upgrades are just for the 125 through 200 size VRs with the lefties for the 150(1) and 200(1) sizes.  Haven’t seen anything on a potential VR51 as yet.

I pre-ordered a 201. I was wondering if they would even reissue anything for leftys. Wish they would bring back the vs 250L . But, with the release of the vr series in L. I doubt they ever will.

40 mins ago, Stripsettter said:

Anybody have these yet?

J&H website availability date has come and gone and when I stopped in, they said they’re still waiting.

Same for me.i messaged josh from j&h about it they said end of april to him but he thinks it’s going to be delayed more. Any ideas on the vr201 @VSCraig

Edited by Callmefish