nickd9283

Van Staal no more Lefty support?!?

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

I’m a righty and surf cast 11ft rods using lefty(right hand retrieve) Van Staals. I cast and switch hands before the plug hits the water like second nature. What are the safety issues?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's not an efficient way to fish when your balancing on the  small boulders of a jetty or shoreline in rough water and you run the risk of dropping your rod an reel during the hand switch which inevitably will happen. Iv been fishing this way for 30 years and its happend twice with wet hands and fish slime everywhere. 

 

It is however a good option to have when fishing a crowded line-up with limited casting space to one side.

 

I started working on a left hand primary cast to avoid the hand switch, having the option of casting over both shoulders is an asset in a crowded line-up or when sharing a large rock with a buddy and is an easier way to keep the feel of reeling with your right hand than forcing your self to fish a regular righty reel.

 

Edited by DeepBlue85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered a ZX25 from ZeeBaaS ( Dutch for king of the sea) the owner Ron was great. I will have it for the spring and although it was $1208 I need a bulletproof reel. Zee BaaS lefty reels have reverse design so right is loose on drag and the spool rotation is counterclockwise so it is a easy task getting line onto the roller. I'm tired of the pile of other " good" reels that were $500-750 that needed $80-100 in parts every dam season from water intrusion. FYI the Penn Torque is a great reel but NOT for Montauk guys and those that skish n swim like me- it cannot and did not hold up. Penn service was outstanding, hats off to Tony, they will honor their warranty but after 12 months.oughhh... you will be repairing that beautiful reel a few times a season. It is IP6 not for hardcore ****. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, I’m not a lefty but supposedly the side plates and gear have been “beefed up” (possibly the main shaft). This is only coming from a few shops that posted about them. Hopefully someone will get one open soon to compare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ralphwupas said:

Just saw Van Staal released a lefty VR series . Guess the rumors were correct 

RK released the lefty VR (Subaqua) in 2015. How could it take Van Staal years to do what already existed???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was curious as to why Tackle Direct was recently offering free spare spools with VRs from 125 to 200.  Looks like they were dumping old inventory to make room for these 2nd generation VRs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Water Dog said:

I was curious as to why Tackle Direct was recently offering free spare spools with VRs from 125 to 200.  Looks like they were dumping old inventory to make room for these 2nd generation VRs.

I think this will be common. When VS discontinued the VSS reels you could find them new for $500. 
 

This will be the end of the VSB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ralphwupas said:

Just saw Van Staal released a lefty VR series . Guess the rumors were correct 

2015 lefty VR :)

881D276F-1153-4042-A744-E8665685F862.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, ged said:

I think this will be common. When VS discontinued the VSS reels you could find them new for $500. 
 

This will be the end of the VSB

 

Yeah, I don’t even see the VSB on the Van Staal/Pure Fishing sight anymore.   After visiting Ron at ZeeBaas yesterday, I’m gonna hold out a for awhile to see what lighter offering they may have up their sleeve... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Water Dog said:

 

Yeah, I don’t even see the VSB on the Van Staal/Pure Fishing sight anymore.   After visiting Ron at ZeeBaas yesterday, I’m gonna hold out a for awhile to see what lighter offering they may have up their sleeve... :D

if it looks like this you will be happy :)

FE8DA7CE-7BBA-4C25-8E08-80D57E883732.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the VSB has been discontinued. I believe just a little while before the old site went down I saw a small note. And the fact that VSB150s have been Mia for over a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, ged said:

if it looks like this you will be happy :)

FE8DA7CE-7BBA-4C25-8E08-80D57E883732.jpeg

Any idea what the price range will be?  Also weight? 
 

And lastly, anyone going into the shop ask Ron when my reel will be ready :stick:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone find it strange or somewhat shady VS has made slight changes to the VR since release but never announces them? Those changes were minimal but for example these seem like VR 2.0s but the average Joe who doesn't follow a forum like this or tackle pages would never know he's buying old stock basically right now if he went out and purchased a Silver VR150 for example. If it was Penn or Shimano, etc...the release would be all over the place. I mean shops literally have these in stock right now (left and right). 

Edited by jk20a3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

Anyone find it strange or somewhat shady VS has made slight changes to the VR since release but never announces them? Those changes were minimal but for example these seem like VR 2.0s but the average Joe who doesn't follow a forum like this or tackle pages would never know he's buying old stock basically right now if he went out and purchased a Silver VR150 for example. If it was Penn or Shimano, etc...the release would be all over the place. I mean shops literally have these in stock right now (left and right). 

The “old VR” went through other unpublished changes to the sleeve guide as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

Anyone find it strange or somewhat shady VS has made slight changes to the VR since release but never announces them? Those changes were minimal but for example these seem like VR 2.0s but the average Joe who doesn't follow a forum like this or tackle pages would never know he's buying old stock basically right now if he went out and purchased a Silver VR150 for example. If it was Penn or Shimano, etc...the release would be all over the place. I mean shops literally have these in stock right now (left and right). 

Penn very regularly makes changes within a model.  It’s still the slammer III, but they went through multiple iterations.  Unknown to many

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.