nickd9283

Van Staal no more Lefty support?!?

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

Just now, D1fishr said:

Please don’t, there’s enough of us looking for these reels!  Haha

If I was going to go that route I'd get a zeebass. I like my vs but after playing around with a zb if I was going to spend the kind of money the lefty vs are going for I might as well get a reel that in my opinion is higher quality and more easily serviceable  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Big Will said:

If I was going to go that route I'd get a zeebass. I like my vs but after playing around with a zb if I was going to spend the kind of money the lefty vs are going for I might as well get a reel that in my opinion is higher quality and more easily serviceable  

Leaning towards one myself, actually awaiting a response from ZB, hopefully this week. I am tiring quickly in the WTB arena. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have a Van Staal for right hand retrieve by 2021, that's the rumor from the melville  ( NY )show last week. In the meantime, right hand retrieve guys have a few options. Spinfisher by Penn, they make two bailess spinfishers 4500 & 6500. I own both and they are great especially since they are $140 and $168 reels! Penn Torque 5500 and 7500 bailess. I just bought a 7500 bailess and it has an issue when retrieving, it has too much friction/ holds up a bit at a certain point on rotation. Penn will make it right, that reel can be "skished" with all day long and it won't have any issues. Lastly, Tsunami saltx 600/4000 I own a saltX6000 and it's fished hard 7 months a year so far, so good. That is a fully sealed reel for $ 389 and mine is submerged all day long as I " cane walk" it in Montauk. VS are great but right now you do have some options and all range from $140 to $750. That leaves $$$ for more nice Dark Matter and Super Strike plugs, ohh baby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this up and looking to add another right hand retrieve(lefty) reel. Disappointed that none of the newer Van Staals are offered lefty. Any more word on if we will see a lefty reel? I have an older VS150L and 250L. I like that they are lightweight compared to similar sized reels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are parts still available to service left hand van staals ? With some people wanting as much as $2000 for a used one might be worth building a new one out of parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matt boyer said:

Are parts still available to service left hand van staals ? With some people wanting as much as $2000 for a used one might be worth building a new one out of parts.

that guy is a straight clown, all he does is try and flip stuff on here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, matt boyer said:

I’ve seen posts of these lefty vr  reels and lefty vs reels but unless van staal confirms this I don’t think it holds water.

With VS being corporate, it might come down to $.  Don't know that there's a giant market to support whatever their investment would be in making new, left handed VS outside of maybe a few thousand folks (generous?) in the northeast and Florida.  If you can get ahold of ZB, I'm pretty sure you can order a lefty model from them.  At that level, it would only be a couple hundred more than a new VS anyway.  As a fellow lefty :help:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jbaer said:

With VS being corporate, it might come down to $.  Don't know that there's a giant market to support whatever their investment would be in making new, left handed VS outside of maybe a few thousand folks (generous?) in the northeast and Florida.  If you can get ahold of ZB, I'm pretty sure you can order a lefty model from them.  At that level, it would only be a couple hundred more than a new VS anyway.  As a fellow lefty :help:

Problem with ZB is there is no equal to the 150.  The ZX20 more than 50% heavier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, kenny1972 said:

You may have a Van Staal for right hand retrieve by 2021, that's the rumor from the melville  ( NY )show last week. In the meantime, right hand retrieve guys have a few options. Spinfisher by Penn, they make two bailess spinfishers 4500 & 6500. I own both and they are great especially since they are $140 and $168 reels! Penn Torque 5500 and 7500 bailess. I just bought a 7500 bailess and it has an issue when retrieving, it has too much friction/ holds up a bit at a certain point on rotation. Penn will make it right, that reel can be "skished" with all day long and it won't have any issues. Lastly, Tsunami saltx 600/4000 I own a saltX6000 and it's fished hard 7 months a year so far, so good. That is a fully sealed reel for $ 389 and mine is submerged all day long as I " cane walk" it in Montauk. VS are great but right now you do have some options and all range from $140 to $750. That leaves $$$ for more nice Dark Matter and Super Strike plugs, ohh baby.

 

On 10/12/2020 at 0:23 PM, Stripsettter said:

Bumping this up and looking to add another right hand retrieve(lefty) reel. Disappointed that none of the newer Van Staals are offered lefty. Any more word on if we will see a lefty reel? I have an older VS150L and 250L. I like that they are lightweight compared to similar sized reels.

 

21 hours ago, Batman67 said:

Heard VS is going to make a beefed up vr 150 and 250 for leftys..

 

19 hours ago, Surfjunki said:

Heard from where? 

 

18 hours ago, matt boyer said:

I’ve seen posts of these lefty vr  reels and lefty vs reels but unless van staal confirms this I don’t think it holds water.

 

8 hours ago, jbaer said:

With VS being corporate, it might come down to $.  Don't know that there's a giant market to support whatever their investment would be in making new, left handed VS outside of maybe a few thousand folks (generous?) in the northeast and Florida.  If you can get ahold of ZB, I'm pretty sure you can order a lefty model from them.  At that level, it would only be a couple hundred more than a new VS anyway.  As a fellow lefty :help:

I will believe none of what I hear and half of what I see.  Here is my last attempt to obtain a VS right hand retrieve in June 2019. Waiting...

8640E6BE-778D-4BFA-8017-0EF32935B3A9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, D1fishr said:

 

 

 

 

 

I will believe none of what I hear and half of what I see.  Here is my last attempt to obtain a VS right hand retrieve in June 2019. Waiting...

8640E6BE-778D-4BFA-8017-0EF32935B3A9.jpeg

I'm with you on this,  jbaer too.

Why would they bring them back when there's so few lefty's that would buy one. I want a 250 bad. but, maybe I should stop holding my breath and just talk to zeebaas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

I'm with you on this,  jbaer too.

Why would they bring them back when there's so few lefty's that would buy one. I want a 250 bad. but, maybe I should stop holding my breath and just talk to zeebaas.

I’m with you guys!  I pulled the trigger on a blacked out RHR Z22 and never looked back.  I also stocked up a pile of Penn 705 and 711s. LOL I have an affinity for those old reels.  They never let me down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.