nickd9283

Van Staal no more Lefty support?!?

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

Hey I write left handed but throw and bat and all that righty. I learned how to use a normal reel.. just make the switch.. it will be awkward at first but before you know it its second nature.. and then you can go buy any reel your shiny lil heart desires 

7 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Hey I write left handed but throw and bat and all that righty. I learned how to use a normal reel.. just make the switch.. it will be awkward at first but before you know it its second nature.. and then you can go buy any reel your shiny lil heart desires 

Stop!!!! Lol

6 hours ago, Fishy Fisher said:

The VR is so simple a design. It's beautiful. I think you can diy reverse it but you'd have to reel backwards as a leftie. And that makes sense because when you play a record backward you hear satanic verses, and lefties are demonic, and van staal doesn't cater to satanists. Perfectly logical reason why VS doesn't make lefty reels! LOL

Moronic response

30 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

I write right handed, throw right handed, and do other things right handed. But I also do some other things left handed. Deep down I'm a true lefty. I feel absolutely discombobulated trying to reel with my left hand using a "normal" reel.

6 mins ago, Bow3022 said:

I write right handed, throw right handed, and do other things right handed. But I also do some other things left handed. Deep down I'm a true lefty. I feel absolutely discombobulated trying to reel with my left hand using a "normal" reel.

What about conventional and baitcasters ??? I reel them with my right hand ... I know mind blowing stuff here 

18 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Ha! I write right-handed, cast left-handed, reel right-handed. throw left-handed. I'm all jammed up. When I cast left-handed (see my photo), I switch the rod to my right hand and manually close the bail, then start reeling with my left hand. It's called a "switch caster". Using a right hand retrieve baitcaster isn't that tough for me, because I'm always using both hands in different situations. But throwing with my right hand.....that's a whole different story....it's terrible.

Edited by lonellr

just as a follow up for everyone... i learned to reel with my other hand.

after 18 years of cranking with my right hand, it only took about 5-6 outings before it felt completely normal to do it the opposite way

been doing it that way this whole season and the "weird" feeling is completely gone now.

i figured it would take 2-3 seasons before i would unlearn almost 2 decades of habit but i guess the body is more adaptable than i thought

14 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Who needs a lefty van staal when you can just....

FB_IMG_1470322576320-1-630x339.jpg

i see this so often LOL... i even run into a kid up here near boston every now and then who casts this way. and its not like he's some amateur who is just starting out... he has all the big name brand gear and to boot, he catches fish. he's not a legend or anything but he knows how to fish.

so to see someone know what they're doing casting and cranking with an upside-down reel makes me crack up every time

Like I said before... the companies name should be Van Stall- Lefty Limitations..... the company is lacking to provide for the entire fishing public so why should their moto be- no limitations?!

On 11/5/2017 at 7:19 PM, Wire For Fire said:

Manufacturing is expensive.. majority of the internals need to be " reversed" so from a business stand point it prob makes sense..  nothing wrong with regular old vs so you got that 

There are not even VS 250 Lefty reels anymore!!!