Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Peros

WTB Flaptails - Especially contemporary builders!

6 posts in this topic

I am still working on my project to honor the late Steve Shiraka, who went by the handle Flaptail on a number of forums, although Numbskull was known to change it to Flaphead on occasion, I believe!

Anyway, folks have been very helpful in filling in the blanks in terms of plug makers who have made flaptails, especially contemporary ones who either made limited numbers for themselves and friends or produced them commercially. 

I have Surf Asylum, Twisted, Professor M, Stetzko, and a few unnamed ones, including a pretty cool piece that was a metal lip for musky fishing that someone with vision modified into a flap. I knew beforehand that Ted aka The Greek or Darby made or perhaps still makes a really nice flaptail that I have been trying to add to my collection, but I now am aware that folks such as Chumbucket, Sudsrat, BS, and perhaps even Digger made flaptails. 

Although I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has a flap made by one of these folks and would be willing to sell it, I would welcome seeing what he or she has and how much they would want to part with what I imagine are important parts of their luggage.

Or perhaps even one of these plug makers will read this and offer to sell me one direct.

In any case, thanks for any consideration in advance and hope that the fish are still around where you are.

Dave

Thank you so very much; I am definitely not in a hurry because I know what goes into making the type of plugs that you do. 

And, obviously, cost is not an object; adding a "Greek" to a collection of flaptails is a must.

Dave

P.S. - And this is coming from a fellow Greek!

Hi Dave! I have 2 Flaptails that I made that I would be glad to loan you for the show to honor Steve! I also have a great 11 x 14 framed photo of Steve that we used at PlugFest right after he passed if you would like to use that at the show! Anyway let me know....anything I can do to help to honor Steve!

Hey Larry - Thanks for the generous offer; I will definitely be in touch as I get the display ready for the show in the spring. 

Obviously, I would appreciate borrowing the flaptails, but would be even more psyched to have a BigFish flap as my very own!

Hope all is well and that you are still catching.

Dave