NJCoast82

Rock piles Sandy Hook

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Can anybody provide info on the rock piles running parallel to the beach just before the entrance to the hook? I also saw some construction equipment there. Is there hope that they’re building a jetty? I know I’m probably wishing for miracles

Started fishing the HOOK again after a decade off. Raising kids, work and duck hunting took a lot of time. My youngest is a fishing fanatic so besides freshwater I started him on the surf this fall. 

I couldn't get over how Hurricane Sandy washed those concrete machine gun bunkers into the water!!! There's concrete structure covered with water during high tides. Saw the rocks you mentioned too, but am amazed the storm moved those pill boxes into the ocean. Mother Nature is a powerful beast!

I saw some other rocks lower from the tip too. I can only assume the storm did that as well. 

Hopefully this structure will help with holding some fish. Tight lines all you HOOK hoppers!

17 hours ago, Trophy11 said:

Anybody know how far of a walk to the tip of the hook it is from the last lot. 

If you are talking North Beach it's very different than 9 Gun. I have not been there in 3 or 4 years but memory tells me that the false hook is about 3/4 to 1 mile once you are through the dune area, about 300 yards. It's further from 9 Gun since you will probably be walking 1/2 mile through the dunes before you even get to the beach. from there false hook is way too far but towards the LH and original tip looks like about 1 mile. Maybe someone who has been out there recently can firm it up, but that's my recollection.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

.....of doing the walk in soft sand and waders and the Lady that haunts Fisherman's Trail in the dark wee hours of the morning.

Her name is Penelope. You don't want to be out there alone in the dark.

On 11/5/2017 at 6:38 PM, Trophy11 said:

Anybody know how far of a walk to the tip of the hook it is from the last lot. 

Lot M little over a mile to the rips. Little hill to go up and down then the Bayside.  Figure 20 mins in waders hdg out, longer when u come back if empty handed.

You'll get get your exercise for the day, bring water.

I used to go out there all the time but haven’t been in years it is a long walk and it is kind of weird when you’re out there alone at night. That’s interesting about the ghost because I’ve walked that trail many times at night. Back when I fished out there it would be at night and I would usually be the only person out there. One night I had the biggest fox I’ve ever seen come up to within feet of me to try to take my bait. It was the size of a medium large dog. Lot m is also where I would park. Can you still park there at night? I haven’t been in about 10 years so I don’t know if they changed anything. 

You need the overnight permit to park there after 8pm.  Otherwise you have to be out of the park by then. 

Anyone seeing ghosts needs to have themselves checked out for paranoia lol