Otshawytsha

Brand New Penn Battle II 4000: Went Geary On Me!

11 posts in this topic

I picked up this new reel on Thursday. Today, after a full day of fishing, it got that durn geary feeling along with that heavy feeling. I've had this happen with all my previous reels, but never this early on in their use. 

The reel was great out of the box. Then from one cast to the next the geary and heavy feeling arrived. I had spent the day working spooks and jerkbaits. Not big ones though, small ones. 

Is this a lubrication issue and should I try lubricating the main gear? Will it invalidate my warranty? 

If I should send this in for repair, should I send it to the nearest service center in my state, as listed on Penn website? 

Edited by Otshawytsha

I have 3 BTL reels i BTL and 2 BTL ll's . I have had them for 2 to 3 years now, they see a lot of use. They work like the day i first got them. Now the only thing i did when I took them out of the box like I do with every reel I buy , I re grease them . I oil the bearings or grease them pending on type of bearing then I put grease ( I like Marine Yama lube grease) in the gear box and on the shafts. I oil the roller bail line roller bearing after 3 to 4 days of use. Now if you hear grinding I would send it in to Penn. Tight lines.

Hunter, 

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I will go ahead and try to emulate what you're doing. 

Here is an update on reel. In the past, when that geary thing has happened, it tends to dissipate or disappear the next day after the rod has sat in trunk overnight and through the day. 

So I put the reel in a warm room with a space heater on for about a half hour last night, right after posting this thread. Took it back out and fished it about two hours later. Geary feeling gone, feels like new. 

So what do you think that indicates about the cause of the problem? Will the grease warm up and spread out over the gears? Will working a spook for a long time somehow cause the grease to move around on the gears to the point that the gears can be partly degreased or dry? 

Unless Tony says otherwise, re:warranty, I'll give the Hunter Treatment to the reel. 

Edited by Otshawytsha

Ot, Yes ask Tony about the warranty. Now when I put the Yama lube in the gear case, the reel spins a little slower with the little extra grease but there quite when turning the handles and landing a fish. Sounds like the grease in your reel stiffens while not in use. I'm not a reel mechanic but I beleave in maintenance on a regular basis.But when you say geary  feeling do you hear a grinding  noise. Some times reels come with a minimal amount of grease in them from the manufacturer. See what tony says and then put some good water proof marine grease in the reel and places I said. Tight lines.  

Hunter, Thanks again. No grinding sound, no grinding feeling, but you know you can feel the gears working against each other and the reel becomes very very heavy--it becomes almost hard to reel in a plug, if that makes sense. Very odd. 

A few times with my previous Battle I made mistake of washing the reel in the beach shower--just splashing it with water. This precipitated a similar thing--presumably the effect of the water on the grease?  

Otshawytsha,

The grease does get stiff when it gets cold but that would slow the action of the reel down not make it grind.  Adding any grease or oil that isn't PENN in the reel does void the warranty.  Could is be sand that you are feeling?  When sand gets in the line roller area, under the rotor or in the handle collar area it could make a grinding sound.

tony

Thanks Tony. Ok, that is helpful info. This wasn't a grinding sound, and I wouldn't call it a grinding feeling, just that the gears could be felt meshing as I reeled. And the reel had a heavy feeling where you almost had to push the reel handle. Went away after I left the reel in a hot room for an hour and has been fine ever since. 

Sand could have been in theree, certainly. I use this reel on beach. 

So warranty wise, if I add Penn grease and oil I will still be under the warranty? I have a set of Penn grease and oil I bought from West Marine I could use. 

Do you recommend prophylactic re-greasing of the reel? 

Ot, Listen to Tony on the reel maintenance to keep the warranty going. There is nothing wrong with Penn grease. I use the Yami lube because I have a tube , it goes a long way. Oil I use Penn oil.Get some Penn grease , clean the old grease out of the gear housing and put some new grease in it. While there check for sand like tony say's to do. I only use Penn reels, I still have Penn reels from the 1960's when i was a kid. Iv'e never had one fail on me. Heck I have a 4000 Captive I use for small fish in the surf. They were rated as not a good reel by some people, Mine with proper maintenance is still running strong. I'll only buy Penn reels. Washing off in the shower is good, Just don't use a lot of pressure when washing the reel , just rinse and let dry. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

Thanks a lot Hunter. I guess I will go ahead and regrease. I had another geary episode the other day. I was ripping a small spook, really yanking it, on the retrieve. And the reel went from liquid ease to geary just like that. 

I put the reel in the car, put on the heateer for five mins, and left the reel in there for about a half hour. Solved problem. 

I wonder if past damage to my reels has happened because I kept fishing after that geary feeling arrived?

In any event, I will regrease soon. 

Thanks for all your help.  

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:15 PM, Otshawytsha said:

So warranty wise, if I add Penn grease and oil I will still be under the warranty? I have a set of Penn grease and oil I bought from West Marine I could use. 

Do you recommend prophylactic re-greasing of the reel? 

Yes, just keep in mind if any damage occurs or parts lost while stripping the reel and re-greasing those parts will not be covered under warranty.

tony