Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 11-03-2017

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

The day started with low clear flat water. The bait was everywhere and not one break. I suspect that the fish put the feed on all night with the full moon. The tide was starting to slowly flood over the sand bar into the trough and once the sun got up a little bit it was easy to start seeing fish. I would say that today I had to see over 300 Snook. Most in pods and very few moving. The fish were still spooky and only once in a while would get a follow.

I decided to move to another area of structure and let the pods rest. The clear water with the sun made the structure easy to see and with the recent beach erosion it required a long cast. I think I only made three or four cast and a solid hard hit, the fish bolted and I was on the reel and soon into my backing. 

It took about 5 minutes before I was finally able to get a visual on the fish and I could see a nice sized Jack Crevalle. I would estimate the weight about 5 or 6 pounds. I would love to connect on a few more, they are just a great fight when in shallow water and can only go in one direction, straight away.

P1090236sol.JPG.16827547c076a39ae4ffb48a027f6689.JPG

Later I picked up a nice Snook as I finally got one to eat out of a pod.

P1090239sol.JPG.cc0d80595eb25826e9b62127ed055a59.JPG

At 12:30 I decided to head home and get some lunch and take a break. I started to walk up the access path to my car and there plain as day was my stripping glove that I lost three days ago. I have no idea why I did not see it before because I think I made 12 trips in and out on this path since I dropped it.

P1090242sol.JPG.3a7ecd7c571844a20dcde223e2be2986.JPG

I decided to make another afternoon trip and it was now cloudy and breezy and soon it started to mist.  The sky looked like it could open up at any moment but I decided to stay.

P1090243sol.JPG.9d70d8e6fb89eb54042d29724f3d30bc.JPG

The only game now was to blind fish the areas that I saw the most pods. The low light and wave action offered no chance to sight fish even with the dropping tide. I was however finally rewarded with one more Snook.

P1090247sol.JPG.5492bbf862676bea5f7cb754a78818ca.JPG

I was surprised that the wind suddenly laid down and it was not long before the skies cleared. The bugs soon became very hungry it did not take long before they drove me off the water.  

Edited by bonefishdick