Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

A grilling apology

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I want to apologize to the guys that were looking for new gassers over the last year or so.  My 20 year old weber needs some updating so I went out to look at a larger model.  I was interested in the genesis II E-410 at a robust 900 bucks.  My current grill is the silver series from the late 90's early 2000's?  There is no comparison. My belief the only grill to own was a weber may have to change.  The older webers were hands above what weber is putting out today.  Apparently no longer made in america, unless the highest end model, I was very disappointed to say the least.  So those that bought were you happy with the weber, any one here try the broil king series?  

couldn't agree more John. Went through the same thing a couple years ago, but a friend took the leap before I did. Glad he did because I learned quickly that I didn't want one of the new Webers, so I found an old mid 90's era Weber and refurbed it with a couple new parts, and for under a C note got a grill that excels and seems like it will be around for years.

weber.jpg

I Have a weber spirit from I believe 2012 and I actually really like it. It's definitely not the quality that weber put out in the past but it's still a nice grill.

My current Weber is a early to mid 90's Red grill. The lower wooden and side  shelves were chewed off by my dogs when they were puppies. It has cast iron grates that were a Home Depot upgrade. I've replaced the burners 3 times and set of (13) favorizer bars once.  I paid $500 back in the day when you could by a Sun Beam with a side burner for $100. My wife has threaten to buy me a new one, I told her to keep the receipt because it would be going back.  You can't beat the old Webers.

The price of the weber gas grills seems crazy to me... My parents bought one in either 2013 or 2014 and it already has issues with the regulator & burners.  My $250 charcoal master touch however is fantastic. 

After pouring over the forums and going to the big box places and touching all the grills I have decided to just replace parts and repair my weber Gold grill.  for $200.00 in parts I will have a grill that will outshine everything I saw at the store.  I really liked the weber 4 series.  I liked the size, the color choices but I just could not justify that new cost vs repair and having a very solid cooking device remaining in use.  For anybody else looking....go look for an older grill.  Craigslist has some beauties out there for little money!  Put in the two hundred bucks for new SS grates, new SS burner and new SS flavorizer bars.  I hope to get another 15 years out of this grill!  Only rust is a small amount on the solid table under the grill.  And that is after 14 years in the weather.  Good stuff for sure!!

Wise decision Scott. Just grabbed this 2 burner silver off Craig’s last month. Had stainless grates and bars already. Poor sob had a brand new box store special just itching to get this out of his yard. Little elbow grease and some paint was all it took. Total investment of about $35 :-)

710D1BCB-E15E-4B2F-A373-3601DE5DACAB.jpeg

Yeah, those craigslist specials are going to go by the wayside eventually.  Hopefully my new parts will be here to night.  I still stand by the webers, but having had the old stuff i can't give it up for the new.  Still have the WSM's, a XL BGE and my Fast eddy cooker 100.  As well as several kettles and a Q grill for the camper.  

I thought from the looks of it they were shoulder steaks, but I googled it and it’s an altogether different cut. I’ve never seen those for sale here, but they look fantastic. Might have to ask my butcher about them.

Edited by iceberg57