mistreci

Penn Battle 2 4000, can it be combined with a taller rod?

18 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

But I have serious questions about whether the Battle 4000 can hold 180lbs of every kind of 30lb braid. I think it would have to be pretty thin braid, considering that my 20lb power pro issue.

If you can only squeeze 190 of 20# braid on it, there’s no chance it hold 180 of every 30# braid...and unlikely it even holds that much of thin 40# braid the OP is using.

The single biggest distance killer on spinning reels is line depletion during a cast. The faster that spool starts to empty, the more the line has to fight its way around the spool lip...the faster your cast slows and stops.  40# braid on a 4000 sized reel is never going to cast. Even if it’s thin 40# braid. I’d fill it with 20# spiderwire stealth invisibraid - I love this stuff...thin and slick and tight...it fished beautifully and knots very well.  Personally I’d fill it with 20#...others might choose to put backing on first and then put 300yd on it...but it’s thin enough braid that even on a long cast spool depletion isn’t going to be much of a factor :th:

If all you can fit is 180yds of a line on a surf reel - buy a bigger reel or use thinner braid. Period. It’s not enough line, spool depletion is gonna kill your casts.

TimS

I'll have to look into this issue. I love the size of the 4000, fits perfectly my 8.5 foot steelhead/salmon rod that I use for all around striper fishing, beach and bay. But I guess I should check out the thinner braid option mentioned above as well as maybe upgrading to a real surf setup for the beach where distance can be so important. 

18 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

I'll have to look into this issue. I love the size of the 4000, fits perfectly my 8.5 foot steelhead/salmon rod that I use for all around striper fishing, beach and bay. But I guess I should check out the thinner braid option mentioned above as well as maybe upgrading to a real surf setup for the beach where distance can be so important. 

4000 sized reel on a 8 1/2' steelhead rod - I've got the same thing....a Loomis steelhead/salmon rod that I love :)  Filled with 20# Whiplash (long since discontinued) it casts a mile. Thinner braid and lots of it helps greatly with casting distance.