FisherMan120

Best plugging rod

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

After many years of off the rack, I finally treated myself to a custom. I am beyond satisfied. It's an ODM 10' NEX1 rated 1-5oz. 

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Custom Lami GSB 1201L cut 3" off tip and butt. Excellent plugging rod.

This, but with 2" up top and 4" on the back was discussed, but I went for the ODM. ^Another great suggestion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does the GSB cast, especially against the wind? In a few weeks I'm going to borrow my friends. 

 

The NEX1 are nice rods. I have played with my friends 10 footer, but didn't fancy plugs on it. I only used it for like 5 minutes though so perhaps I should give it another try for a longer time. Everyone raves about them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FisherMan120 said:

How does the GSB cast, especially against the wind? In a few weeks I'm going to borrow my friends. 

 

The NEX1 are nice rods. I have played with my friends 10 footer, but didn't fancy plugs on it. I only used it for like 5 minutes though so perhaps I should give it another try for a longer time. Everyone raves about them. 

I am completely satisfied with the 1-5 NEX1.  My rod builder referred to the GSB as old technology.  You won't be dissapointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my Lami 1322 best for plugging. Casts great and its easy to dance plugs on top. I also use it for SP Minnows and Coltsnipers. I have an older 1 piece model but fished the newer XSRA1322-2 which is a 2-piece and it is very similar to my 1 piece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 7:49 PM, KironaFly said:

Tsunami Airwave Elite 11 foot 2M model ... go from there.

I use the 9 ft Tsunami Airwave Elite for everything up to 3 oz. Feels great in the hand, throws a country mile if my form is right and hauls in fish without issue. It's paired with a Shimano Spheros 5000 and I can't say a bad thing about this combo. I just started my 13 y/o son on surf fishing and he's using that rod like a champ. It certainly doesn't break the bank and leaves you extra money for plugs, metals, bucktails and a stop at the jewelry store to buy your Mrs. a gift to offset your spending spree on fishing stuff! Good luck ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FishnDucks said:

I use the 9 ft Tsunami Airwave Elite for everything up to 3 oz. Feels great in the hand, throws a country mile if my form is right and hauls in fish without issue. It's paired with a Shimano Spheros 5000 and I can't say a bad thing about this combo. I just started my 13 y/o son on surf fishing and he's using that rod like a champ. It certainly doesn't break the bank and leaves you extra money for plugs, metals, bucktails and a stop at the jewelry store to buy your Mrs. a gift to offset your spending spree on fishing stuff! Good luck ;)

Yeah I have the 9'6" version ... T-Airwave Elite ... and yes it's a great all around rod. I talked up the 11 footer since the thread starter seemed interested in 10' & 10'6" rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KironaFly said:

Yeah I have the 9'6" version ... T-Airwave Elite ... and yes it's a great all around rod. I talked up the 11 footer since the thread starter seemed interested in 10' & 10'6" rods.

I hear ya bud...was trying to let the guy know that the TAE was a great rod which wouldn't bust his bank. Your post was spot on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamiglas GSB i think 1321 M, I also have a 1321 MH blank that is pretty old I just re did.   I also have the XS 101 MS, and a 9ft for lighter stuff all lamiglas. 

 

Lamiglas might be old technology, but none of these rods have ever broke despite years of abuse, some are over 15 seasons old with the grip on the handles worn down to the bone pretty much.  I'm not sure the lighter rods sold today will be able to stand the same test of time.  They are dependable if thats what you are into.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jerseypride said:

What's your guys opinion of the 10'6" st Croix mojo surf. 3/4-4oz. I've been using it regularly for about a year and I think it's great!

It is a great rod with excellent components & would be a good choice for the open beach. I've heard many say it tops out well shy of 4 ounces, which may be fine if you are throwing mostly the lower range of the spectrum.

Edited by MAGA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2017 at 9:51 PM, Jerseypride said:

What's your guys opinion of the 10'6" st Croix mojo surf. 3/4-4oz. I've been using it regularly for about a year and I think it's great!

Is that rod very stiff? I have the 8' and it is too stiff for my liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.