FisherMan120

Best plugging rod

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Curious what you guys think is the best plugging rod out there. I guess budget would be up to $500 or so. 10-10 1/2 feet length preferred. 2-4 ounce weight range. Besides the occasional SP minnow, rod would be used strictly for topwater plugs like pencils to bottles and metal lip swimmers. Thanks.

Why $500? Just curious. If I had $500 for a new rod, I'd buy 3 new rods or 1 rod and a couple of reels. I have yet to see a rod for $500 that can do anything different or better than several rods I have fished in the $150-$200 range depending on size. My point was to be informative towards you not critical of you idea to spend the money. There are lots of guys that just don't believe or know that you can match the performance of some of these very high priced rods for less than half the money. In some case way less than 1/2 the money. If I was in the market and money not an issue I'd look hard at one of the new Team Daiwa Surf sticks for just under $200. If you really gave a rod like this a shot, you would never look to spend more. Best of luck deciding. In the end you have to be happy. If your married, don't dare let the wife know you dropped $500 on one rod unless you stop at the jewelers on the way home!!!

I’m open to cheaper rods. $500 is the most id spend, but certainly doesn’t need to be that much. I know the Mojos and Airwaves in particular are solid rods for the money.  I more so am just curious as to opinions on the best plugging rods up to $500. I’d like to have a variety of options to check this off-season. I’m not familiar with what people feel is best for topwater specifically, as that’s what I’m looking for. I’m not looking to get a few rods as really all I need right now is a solid pencil popping rod. 

The best PP rod is not necessarily the best plugging rod. And vise versa. As much as the best plugging rod for me is more than likely not the same for you. 

Century s2 1266 stealth. If I could only have one rod, at that proce point, that did absolutely everything i asked of it. It would be that. 

If you prefer a little bit faster. There's the slingshot models. Ss1265 or ss1267, depending on how deep into that 2-4 range you need to go. 

Edited by FinS 32

For me it's the Vapor Trail 3-6.  If you like a softer rod, I'd go with the Century S2.  

Honorable mention to the FSC 1327.  

5 hours ago, redfin said:

Why $500? Just curious. If I had $500 for a new rod, I'd buy 3 new rods or 1 rod and a couple of reels. I have yet to see a rod for $500 that can do anything different or better than several rods I have fished in the $150-$200 range depending on size.

I don’t know about you, but I would never choose three Yugos over one Mercedes!

Yes, you can find good cheaper substitute but it will be extremely tough to match all of the parameters, not to mention quality or esthetic.

For example: if you find matching blank power, cheaper rod generally will be heavier.

Yes, sometimes you pay mostly for brand name.

Toyota, Honda sounds sweeter than Hyundai or Kia!

it depends on how much versatility he's willing to trade for top-shelf, but very specialized, performance.  To use your car example  - yes, of course everyone would rather have a single benz than 2 kias.  But, if I needed to haul trash to the dump on saturdays and commute in traffic for an hour each way on weekdays I'd rather have a $30,000 honda accord and a $40,000 ford pickup than a single $70,000 mercedes.  If he can live with a rod that throw, say 2-4 ounces really, really well but throws 3/4 or 5 awfully, then 1 $500 rod might make the most sense, but if he's like me and needs to throw 1/2-2oz some nights and 3-5oz on others then 2 different $250 rods is the more practical way to go.

New Daiwa Tournament Ballistic :

TNBA25-305G     10'0"   2 pcs        12-25 lb 1.5-5 oz  

19 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

it depends on how much versatility he's willing to trade for top-shelf, but very specialized, performance.  To use your car example  - yes, of course everyone would rather have a single benz than 2 kias.  But, if I needed to haul trash to the dump on saturdays and commute in traffic for an hour each way on weekdays I'd rather have a $30,000 honda accord and a $40,000 ford pickup than a single $70,000 mercedes.  If he can live with a rod that throw, say 2-4 ounces really, really well but throws 3/4 or 5 awfully, then 1 $500 rod might make the most sense, but if he's like me and needs to throw 1/2-2oz some nights and 3-5oz on others then 2 different $250 rods is the more practical way to go.

+1

11 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

I absolutely agree with you about practically of multiple rods, but I believe FisherMan was asking about one, best rod at around 500$.

Yeah, I’m just looking for one specific rod. Realistically any where from 200 up to 500 bucks. I’m not familiar with the top tier stuff, such as century, CTS, etc which is why getting opinions is valuable. 

On 10/23/2017 at 11:51 AM, FisherMan120 said:

Curious what you guys think is the best plugging rod out there. I guess budget would be up to $500 or so. 10-10 1/2 feet length preferred. 2-4 ounce weight range. Besides the occasional SP minnow, rod would be used strictly for topwater plugs like pencils to bottles and metal lip swimmers. Thanks.

Tsunami Airwave Elite 11 foot 2M model ... go from there.