Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dennysnook

Fins 40G Opinion

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Finally decided to give this stuff a try in the 45lb. Had it on for three days and while it casts very good, that is the only good thing I can say about it so far. Have kinks all throughout my line from fishing in heavy winds and the sheath has already seperated three times leaving an inner core, once 20 yards deep where another person crossed my line and rubbed through with very little tension. Haven't randomly broke off with it yet, but refuse to leave it cored out with bunched up sheathing on either side so cut it back. Seen mixed reviews on this line and can't see myself having it on my spool for much longer or recommending it, especially if seperation keeps occuring. Not for me and the rocky environment I fish with spinning tackle. On another note, I spooled up with Yozuri Super 20lb the same day on another reel, and really like that stuff so far. Will post those results after sufficient time

I love the stuff.  I've had nothing but positive things to say about it.

BUT....BIIIGGGGG.....BUT

What you describe is exactly what I saw first hand when fishing with fellow member Jblair out on the west branch of the delaware.

I've used the same spool (reversed it though I didn't even need to) for almost 2 full years now.  And it's been flawless (5lb test..which is really the same as every other 10lb test diameter)  And I've also used the 15lb but more sparingly...(no issues at all)

Jblair's setup was similar to mine.  Stella FI (his was a 4k mine is a 3k)  And he had it on an NRX 901 while I had it on a steez and tailwalk.

He had very weird kinks all over the line.  And the only thing he throws at all what soever are  high end japanese jerk baits.  between 70 and 95mm and some square bills.   THATS IT>

His leader was an alberto.  And I remember on 10 different occasions I retied his leader for him since it was all kinked up.

Additionally there were little green dots up throughout the line.   I have only 2 that i could see on mine.  Almost like a dab of some sort of glue to keep the interior strands in place in case of a pull.

I love the stuff.  And whenever I recommend it.  I try to remember to mention that i've seen people have issues with it.

I emailed them a while ago as I wanted to know why when i measured the diamter i came up with .009 (.008 if i had to sqeeze the crap out of it)  So that is what the reply is all about.  

But try emailing him and see if he can offer an explanation.  As your issue doesn't seem to be unique.

((i want to say dave is the owner of fins...not 100% certain though)

Dave Burch dave@finsfishing.com

3/9/16
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me, Karla
cleardot.gif

Hi Nick,

Sorry you are having an issue with the 5 lb 40G. To answer your question we measure the line with a simple device known as a wet paint scale, see image below.

Related image

We stretch the line out on a flat surface and pass the scale over it. I just checked our stock and found that the 5 lb is .004. I believe that you have mailed me a sample of the braid in question once I receive it I will get back to you immediately.

7 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

I love the stuff.  I've had nothing but positive things to say about it.

BUT....BIIIGGGGG.....BUT

What you describe is exactly what I saw first hand when fishing with fellow member Jblair out on the west branch of the delaware.

I've used the same spool (reversed it though I didn't even need to) for almost 2 full years now.  And it's been flawless (5lb test..which is really the same as every other 10lb test diameter)  And I've also used the 15lb but more sparingly...(no issues at all)

Jblair's setup was similar to mine.  Stella FI (his was a 4k mine is a 3k)  And he had it on an NRX 901 while I had it on a steez and tailwalk.

He had very weird kinks all over the line.  And the only thing he throws at all what soever are  high end japanese jerk baits.  between 70 and 95mm and some square bills.   THATS IT>

His leader was an alberto.  And I remember on 10 different occasions I retied his leader for him since it was all kinked up.

Additionally there were little green dots up throughout the line.   I have only 2 that i could see on mine.  Almost like a dab of some sort of glue to keep the interior strands in place in case of a pull.

I love the stuff.  And whenever I recommend it.  I try to remember to mention that i've seen people have issues with it.

I emailed them a while ago as I wanted to know why when i measured the diamter i came up with .009 (.008 if i had to sqeeze the crap out of it)  So that is what the reply is all about.  

But try emailing him and see if he can offer an explanation.  As your issue doesn't seem to be unique.

((i want to say dave is the owner of fins...not 100% certain though)

Dave Burch <dave@finsfishing.com>

3/9/16
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me, Karla
cleardot.gif

Hi Nick,

Sorry you are having an issue with the 5 lb 40G. To answer your question we measure the line with a simple device known as a wet paint scale, see image below.

Related image

We stretch the line out on a flat surface and pass the scale over it. I just checked our stock and found that the 5 lb is .004. I believe that you have mailed me a sample of the braid in question once I receive it I will get back to you immediately.

Will keep fishing it for a few more days to make sure I continually have the same issues and see if I can see how they are developing or atleast take photos before I email them. Right now, I only know how the sheath seperated one time from a line rub abrasion. Just after I spooled it I managed to put my first kink in it. Was manually wrapping the line around the spool because some line fell off and missed one wrap around the top of spool lip, instantly kinking it once the loop closed. I kept feeling weird spots when running the line through my fingers today, and noticed several kinks had developed and some felt like the sheath had bunched up in certain areas below the kink. I was popping with a topwater yesterday and today, in headwinds over 15mph so maybe there is a loop created with the popping stroke and the other two sheath seperations seemed close to my finger hold for casting. Will try and pay more attention in the coming days to figure out what the heck is going on with this stuff

Gotcha.

Post up a pic if you get a chance.

What color did you get?  If you got the green.  There may be little green dots throughout the line.  They look like the same color of dye only a little blob.,

I get kinks from time to time....but i just pinch and smooth em out..never been an issue for me but i can definitely see how it could be a problem.

22 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Gotcha.

What color did you get?  If you got the green.  There may be little green dots throughout the line.  They look like the same color of dye only a little blob.,

I get kinks from time to time....but i just pinch and smooth em out..never been an issue for me but i can definitely see how it could be a problem.

White. It was raining so I left my phone today. Had a bull shark eat a jack on topwater and when I got it back in there was about 2ft of core left with sheath missing. I also decided to cut my lure off for fray and left about two foot of braid out the tip while I picked up fish. Spun in wind and must of put 25 kinks in the line lol, so cut that back. Still no breakages although that is a concern since I was told the kinking drops abs 25%

On 10/22/2017 at 0:04 AM, scoobydoo said:

Gotcha.

IMG_10391.jpg.0c851dc01e3dce388883fb9b68592565.jpgIMG_10371.jpg.de48a9c8a6b325da9599c52caf5a040b.jpg

Here is what is happening. Sheath on either side seperates leaving an exposed core

Damn....now that sucks!

I'd definitely go ahead and email the guy at fins.  send him that pic.  

Even link him to this discussion.

When testing, the kink is very apparent when trying to unwind the loops of line I've received from Ray and once it's kinked and tension is applied, there is line damage there that is very apparent during the ABS test.

I've fished with it only a handful of time and the 15 lbs is still on my Twinpower 3000. Strangely enough, I see the spiral DNA twist on the last 10 ft like I see with Nanofil and Fireline but it's not as pronounced and I don't see any fraying. It's strange since the twisting should easily lead to kinking on this line.

But for it's price, it's so so S/W and the kinking issue, I would not buy it again. I would think that this line should do extremely well on baitcasting setup since there is MUCH less line twist but I've seen evidence of the line puffing up in section when the sheathing is destroyed.

On 10/27/2017 at 2:38 AM, dennysnook said:

IMG_10391.jpg.0c851dc01e3dce388883fb9b68592565.jpgIMG_10371.jpg.de48a9c8a6b325da9599c52caf5a040b.jpg

Here is what is happening. Sheath on either side seperates leaving an exposed core

Same thung happened to a friend of mine whole we were test cadtinf some rods. It casts great, but this is the second time I've seen this sort of thing happen. It made me nervous about buying the first time I saw it, just hoped it was an anomaly, but this makes me question that. 

Edited by FinS 32

Several years ago when I was living in SWFL and doing a lot of FW bass fishing, a new product appeared on the market. It was made by Tuf line and was constructed in the same manner as Fin 40G. It had an inner core of longitudinal fibers and an outer sheath of braided line. It was touted as handling like mono but fishing like braid.

When I first got it, I loved it. I was using it on a baitcasting reel. It was trouble free like mono but had the sensitivity and casting distance of braid. The outer sheath was a green color whereas the inner core of longitudinal fibers was white. 

After a while I noticed the end of the line had some discoloration which I attributed to fraying from structure. As time went on I got these discolored areas throughout the line. The discolored areas started to form kinks. When I closely examined the line in these areas it was clear as to what was happening. The outer sheath was slipping on the inner core. As time went on these areas became worse. I finally junked the line and went back to either mono or regular braid.

I assume that the issues you are having stem from the same problem of the outer sheath slipping over the inner core.

There is a review of Fins 40G on the internet. They have the same issues as you. The pics they show of the line look exactly like the ones you showed. I would deep six that line.