Rate this topic

lonellr

5 mins ago, Mark L said:

Dumb question do I use one of those small electric melting pots that you can get online. 

I used one for many, many years for pouring jigs in Do-It molds...but they don't tend to have enough relief between the pour spout and the work surface to fit an eel squid mold under. My average eel squid mold is probably three or so inches long...I think there's about two inches of clearance under the pour spout on those electric melting pots.

You can buy just a plain melting pot - one without a spout - and use a ladle - that would work :th:  

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Drew, unfortunately the price of tin is through the roof...when I was pouring lots of squids I was paying about $2/lb for tin...not sure what it is now, but last time I checked it was close to $20 :b:

TimS

i am sadly well aware of the current cost - $20 is about right. still going to be cheaper than buying them and if i can get the molds made i won't need to hoard them like i currently do.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I stockpiled about seventy five pounds of block tin back when it was around $2...probably the best unintentional investment I've ever made ;)

TimS

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Tim, thanks for the great tutorial. Who would have guessed crisco as a parting agent? I'm mainly making odd shaped weights for thin bodied plugs, so surface finish is of no consequence. I've found direct pour into the lure to be too variable to work well. Looks like this is the right stuff. Thanks again.

You can make a lotta squids with a few pounds of tin :th:

I haven't poured anything in at least 8 years...that's how much stuff I made over the years...I just recently started running out of smaller ball jigs with strong hooks. I've probably got 200 various eel squids...on some the hooks have been sharpened almost to the barb :o

TimS

8 mins ago, Kent I said:

Tim, thanks for the great tutorial. Who would have guessed crisco as a parting agent? I'm mainly making odd shaped weights for thin bodied plugs, so surface finish is of no consequence. I've found direct pour into the lure to be too variable to work well. Looks like this is the right stuff. Thanks again.

Absolutely...the less detail you need to capture the easier the molds are to make. If you get a little creative I think you should be able to make a multi-cavity mold...since each cavity will be very short, you can make the mold longer rather than taller...I bet you could do 4 or 5 weights in one mold about 6" long and 2" tall :)

TimS

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

clay & bondo on order. i will work on this over the weekend hopefully.

If you get stuck, PM me or email me :) I wrote that up not having made a bondo mold in about ten years...it's entirely possible that I may have glossed over something important along the way :b:

TimS

10 hours ago, TimS said:

If you get stuck, PM me or email me :) I wrote that up not having made a bondo mold in about ten years...it's entirely possible that I may have glossed over something important along the way :b:

TimS

thanky you, i will keep that in mind.

question - when you made molds did you(can you) make multiple cavity molds or is it best to keep them as singles? I have 5 squids that i want to make. it seems it would be easier to make a few larger molds but that might not be best with the material being used.

Edited by Drew C.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

thanky you, i will keep that in mind.

question - when you made molds did you(can you) make multiple cavity molds or is it best to keep them as singles? I have 5 squids that i want to make. it seems it would be easier to make a few larger molds but that might not be best with the material being used.

I've never made a multi cavity mold...I would do it if I was going to pour something small like the weights Kent wants to make. I wouldn't do it for something like squids...only because the molds get a little soft when they get hot - I think a longer mold might be too fragile :o 

If you make a mold or two and get comfortable...I think you could make a multi-cavity mold out of the fiberglass reinforced Bondo...that **** is tough :th:

TimS