iputmyhoursin

Braid to leader question - knot or swivel

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2017 at 10:32 AM, TLap21 said:

I'm confused.  Are you saying the Uni/Uni is the reason you're losing jigs?? If so, it's likely not tied correctly.  

Modified Albright (Alberto) knot is what I use along with Uni/Uni (depending on test) and have had no problems with either.  

FG Knot is the best knot for this, but I find it a PITA to tie, so I don't use it.  

Sometimes people mistake the uni/uni as tying 2 fisherman's knots together which breaks the line

21 minutes ago, StriperZ said:

On light tackle, the PR knot does not require folding the leader, so it goes well into the eyelets. I promise to post a picture of a finished knot after I tie one in the morning.

But what if you lose a jig at night (or several) and break off at the knot?  Imagine tying that several times in darkness, 90*, mosquitoes buzzing around. What's wrong with a standard heavy mono leader on a barrel swivel?

Chicks dig men who can tie complex knots at night.  Bob_G's being modest, he can do it, and twice this summer girls 20+ years younger then him came down the rocks to start hitting on him (they were in their 90s). 

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

But what if you lose a jig at night (or several) and break off at the knot?  Imagine tying that several times in darkness, 90*, mosquitoes buzzing around. What's wrong with a standard heavy mono leader on a barrel swivel?

The PR is not really good in the dark, what with the bobbin and all. I have had the braid break before, never the leader and not at the knot. When that happens, then I tie a slim beauty, I can do that in the dark on a pitching deck. Nothing is wrong the heavy mono leader, I use 60 lb test when the blues are around and 40 lb test both with 20 lb braid.  As the old saying goes, "use the optimum until the s*** hits the fan, then I use barrel swivels too".   Yeah, I just made it up. :)