iputmyhoursin

Braid to leader question - knot or swivel

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

This year I've lost more jigs and lures then I could imagine. The canal usually takes one savage almost every two trips. My "go to" knot is a uni to uni for my braid to leader. While jigging, I can feel the jig hit the bottom and slowly work them hopping rocks. What are you guys using to tie your braid to leader? Any knots to suggest? I'm currently using 40lb braid superslick 8 and a 40lb/50lb fluorocarbon leader. With a thicker leader I'm pretty limited on what knots I can use. I've used swivels in the past, but I don't get the same feel and feedback as I usually get when tying braid to leader directly. I guess it's a catch 22. :why:. I want the most feedback when handling the braid, but at the same time don't want to lose any lures.

For that test i always knot.

Posted this yesyerday.

Not sure what its called - we just call it the braid to mono/flouro leader knot.  works for small test and we use (sucessfully) for BFT spinning gear too with sucess up to 84", 400lb fish.

make a loop in the mono/flouro "bending" about 10-12" of line leaving a 1-2" loop on the end and another couple inches of doubled / folded line .  Go up thru the loop with about 10-12" of the braid.  keeping the mono/flouro loop "level" wrap the braid in tight loops around both folded pieces of the mono/flouro (close to the loop) 15 times (why 15 i have no idea but it works, less doesn't always hold).  After wrap # 15 go back thru the mono/flouro loop the same way you came.  with toir fingers, pinch/hold the braid end and the braid main line in one hand and the mono/flouro doubled over piece (both the main line and the tag) in the other, "wet" the knot and pull it down.  then grab just the two lines and pull hard till it "locks".  Trim mono/flouro and braid tag ends and your off.  Can "simple sleeve" it for extra smooth casting thru guides.

Thanks nicknotsebastian, I'm more of a visual learner, but I'll give it a shot. It's going to be tough making 15 loops with 40lb+ flurocarbon, maybe I should try out smaller tests.

Edited by iputmyhoursin

I always used the Tony Pena knot (which I guess is the one explained by nicknotsebastian). Easy and strong.

There are tons of videos and pics on google.

Never used swivels to connect braid and leader. 

I'm confused.  Are you saying the Uni/Uni is the reason you're losing jigs?? If so, it's likely not tied correctly.  

Modified Albright (Alberto) knot is what I use along with Uni/Uni (depending on test) and have had no problems with either.  

FG Knot is the best knot for this, but I find it a PITA to tie, so I don't use it.  

I've recently switched to a high-quality barrel swivel, and I have sets of pre-made leaders with loops on the end for quick changes.  The last thing I want to do on the water is try to tie a complicated knot, and in my experience the break mostly happens at the leader.

Ball Bearing swivel looped on with a Bimini, make up my leaders at home. For a new leader I just "pick" the loop off the swivel and loop on another. No loss of sensitivity. If I hang bottom, the leader always breaks, not the braid...

Swivel from topshot to flouro leader on the 80s and 130s for live bait BFT.  Snap swivel at the end of the flouro leader on lighter non BFT - for example - switching from bass to blues and want to add a short coated wire leader before a popper.  Never found this knot (Albright) difficult at all on the boat, on the beach, on the rocks - even when its cold.  Needs no special tools (except maybe reading glasses when you get to my age!) and have used for flouro from 2# to 150#.  I have never (ever) had a break at the knot.  Depending on the # of the leader to the braid - typically the leader will snap on a snag before the braid.  If it snaps off "too short" - cut the braid and tie on a new one.

6 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

This year I've lost more jigs and lures then I could imagine. The canal usually takes one savage almost every two trips. My "go to" knot is a uni to uni for my braid to leader. While jigging, I can feel the jig hit the bottom and slowly work them hopping rocks. What are you guys using to tie your braid to leader? Any knots to suggest? I'm currently using 40lb braid superslick 8 and a 40lb/50lb fluorocarbon leader. With a thicker leader I'm pretty limited on what knots I can use. I've used swivels in the past, but I don't get the same feel and feedback as I usually get when tying braid to leader directly. I guess it's a catch 22. :why:. I want the most feedback when handling the braid, but at the same time don't want to lose any lures.

I also use the modified Albright knot because I cannot use the uni to uni due to my 100lb mono leader. 

I hardly loose jigs now. Only loose them if I loose concentration of where the jig is bouncing or getting tired. For me, the knot or swivel has never affect the sensitive of where the jig is.  Right after the cast, I have to start my concentration on where the jig is at all times. This has reduced the amount of snagged jigs and increased my success in jigging dramaticly. 

I use Seaguar premiere flouro for my leaders. It's pretty soft so tying Palomar knots with it is pretty easy. Seaguar regular flouro, 40lb test, is a bitch to tie Palomar knots with.

I use a barrel swivel to 3' of flouro to a tactical angler clip. I use  Palomar knots to tie the braid to the barrel swivel and to tie the flouro  to the TAC. 

Sometimes at night I put a bead above the barrel swivel so it doesn't get caught in the eyelet guide.

I do very well at the beaches and the canal with these leaders so I don't think it affects my catch rate

I believe the knot described is an Alberto.  I use it and have found it to be as strong as any for a braid to mono.

Also very slim and passes through the eyes without binding. 

20171018_180423.png

20170820_140904.jpg

Edited by TBYRD