WoodyCT

Poaching, Trespassing, and Littering Ferners

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

How about y'all quit renting houses/condos to clueless googans?  I know, it's not something that you can control. But you don't really think these disrespectful morons are avid, responsible stewards of their environment, raised to handle fish respectfully and to obey laws, who just drove down/over for an evening of hunting the surf, do you?  I'm betting those CT/MA/NY plates belong to west-of-the-river region suburbanites sportin' Wal-Mart saltwater-combo rigs pre-spooled with cheap Chinese mono, lured by the tourism ads and real-estate mongers renting out your RI investment properties who are not even vaguely familiar with state regulations.  Stop putting the bait out and the gullible won't bite.  Again, I know it's beyond your control but you gotta stop speaking of these people as if they represent whatever state their plate was issued from.  If you're parking at the state launches, breachways and other state or locally maintained public parking areas what did you expect to find?  That grid of small roads peppered with cheap raised ranches and capes that frame-up the Charlestown BW area are a breeding ground for googs.  If the accommodations weren't there, your troubles would be halved, I'm betting. I get it - there are those that know that they're breaking the law, and that there are those that disrespect the facilities (like your horse-schit lady) but it's been my observation, in my near 60 years of trodding the RI/CT sand, the trouble is with the clueless tourists in general and not so much to do with the color of the license plate.  I live on the eastern border of CT and believe me, we get our share of RI litterbugs and camper-clowns in our rivers and woods. You're frustration is 100% valid, but if you pigeon hole the acts by license plate colors, I'm here to remind the stone-throwers that we ALL live in this little glass house....OK - eviscerate me at-will guys...

Man, it's a sore subject. 

I been a fishing tourist to SoCo for 50 years.

My father's family summered there in the 50s when he was little. 

We fished, crabbed, clammed, hunted ducks, snorkled amd collect aquarium fish, spent weeks in cottages, camp sites and dive motels.

1000s $$$$ on food, tackle, gas, supplies, coffee, 10,000 breakfasts. 

I'll put my regional knowledge against any local, I know MORE than many locals by virtue of my diving and snorkeling and collecting. Most RI guys have little clue what swims at their feet if you can't eat it.

I'll put my ethics and sportsmanship against any of the locals, haven't kept a RI bass in years. Pick up trash every trip, raised 4 ethical skilled responsible fishermen on RI beaches.

Don't matter. They hated our out of state plates in the 70s and they still hate us today. Take our money to stay afloat, but hate on us every chance they get.

I don't care, it was explained to me as a kid, I explained it to my kids. It's a part of the experience. I'm never going to stop going there but would never likely live there so I will always be a tourist and a masshole.

Earn my money in Ma, spend it in RI. How's that a bad thing?

On 10/14/2017 at 9:22 PM, NewEngBoy011 said:

I have no shame in being frustrated with out of towners...I waited all summer to get shots at  my spots 10 min from home here in SoCo, and in like wolf packs they come...1 fish and the cell phones come out then 5 cars from 3 states pull in....I've accepted that's the way it is and realize I just have to be more tactful and it has made me focus and fish mentally harder which has on occasion paid off or just walk away and use my observations set up a night shift which on one specific outing yielded my best fish this season 42", just 4 hrs after walking away from the crowds...sucks but when there's no biomass left people get desperate and chase bites

Go out on a Tuesday and stop crying 

Rhode Island Fishing -- "Cooler and Warmer"

You guys asked for it with that slogan, now everyone wants to come here. When I'm fishing the SCB's I love being "cooler and warmer!"

Online reports and FB has brought most of these a holes to your precious RI. Now a whole generation of do nothing lazy people are out fishing....everywhere. Most would have never started fishing in the first place if they had to do the actual work of the how and where themselves. If online reports stopped today it would still take some years to lose this new brigade of report following dinks that mess up all these spots and the fishing there. People who still mention location online are one of two things............selfish or stupid. Sorry for those in RI and elsewhere that has to watch the deterioration of the places they love and respect. Things in the fishing world are getting real bad IMO. Shore access will be almost totally gone in a handful of years at this rate. 

I get that people from RI get pissed when out of staters start poking around "secret spots" because you do sometimes have to wait a whole year for big fish to show in those places, but give me a break. How many people on this board go the ditch on every morning tide because the fishing sucks locally?  How many people from RI who aren't on this board go to the Ditch and poach/litter on a morning tide?  It's pretty significant.  So unless you only fish RI the entire year, you really have no grounds to stand on.

I'm from MA, but grew up right on the RI border.  I've been on those rocks since I was 3 years old because my parents didn't want to deal with Cape traffic and it was equidistant to the lower Bay.  I'm lucky in that regard as I grew up having an affinity for that stretch of rock and sand. I've fished RI considerably more than my home state and have no problem saying I know the coastline better than a lot of locals.  For me, RI is sacred hunting grounds from a surfcasting perspective and I protect it as such.  

You have to earn it in RI so I completely understand the frustration, but again, guys who come up to the Ditch regularly have no leg to stand on.

And I agree with Mike, it's pretty evident what social media has done to fishing.  Real time reports sending the masses to concentrations of fish...unsustainable IMO, at least inshore.

Edited by rbart

Rhode Islanders are ruining fishing in the state. Releasing all those friggin seals, you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! Probably saw 5-6 of them this weekend alone.

31 mins ago, SwimBait said:

Rhode Islanders are ruining fishing in the state. Releasing all those friggin seals, you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! Probably saw 5-6 of them this weekend alone.

I think its those dang ct-ers who are responsible. :beatin:

On 10/20/2017 at 5:12 PM, Tailslap said:

Online reports and FB has brought most of these a holes to your precious RI. Now a whole generation of do nothing lazy people are out fishing....everywhere. Most would have never started fishing in the first place if they had to do the actual work of the how and where themselves. If online reports stopped today it would still take some years to lose this new brigade of report following dinks that mess up all these spots and the fishing there. People who still mention location online are one of two things............selfish or stupid. Sorry for those in RI and elsewhere that has to watch the deterioration of the places they love and respect. Things in the fishing world are getting real bad IMO. Shore access will be almost totally gone in a handful of years at this rate. 

Well said.

There are plenty of these types that are from RI though (see the "RI Saltwater Fishing" Facebook group). I was astounded by the number of googans this year at the usual spring spots. They hammer the Barrier once it's hot, then at the Canal once that's hot. 

Edited by warwick slums