Dan_evan1

ODM Jigster 4-10oz by CMS Tackle

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

Hey guys, first time poster here, long time fisherman. Born and raised on Cape Cod, I’ve been fishing for over 20 years, 10 of which I’d consider “serious”, and figured I’d try to make my first post here somewhat interesting and informative. 

This past spring I had contacted Lou Caruso about a potential build for an all-around Cape Cod Canal rod. Something similar to a Slingshot 1328 (which I had already owned). Lou being Lou is much more in tune with new companies and the quality of the blanks being released. 

I told him what I’d be looking for out of a rod, what I threw for plugs/jigs/Swimmers etc, and Lou turned me onto ODM, specifically the 11’ 4-10oz Jigster. He spoke of the incredibly wide range this blank can throw, its ability to lean on fish in the tide, and he thought it would be a perfect fit for what I was looking for.

I didn’t want be that guy with 17 rods in his bike, and really wanted to narrow it down to just 2-3 max (one being a lighter schoolie/albie setup). 

Rated for up to 33 pounds of drag and 4-10oz lures I was expecting this blank to be a heavy telephone pole, and frankly had my doubts. I contacted CMS and had the opportunity to throw their 10’ model with a variety of my stuff, and immediately put a build into place.

So after being paired with a Saltiga 6500h, over the next 2 months of fishing I would throw everything from SP minnows (the 1 7/8oz salt pro) to 7.5 oz. Bill Hurley’s (paddle tail included), and even an 8 oz trolling stick shad, jigging, plugging, and taking fish up to 44 pounds in moontides, I can say without question this blank is incredible. 

I own Century rods, Lamiglas, Cousins/Ron Arra, St. Croix, and TFO and you can see me fishing them in any of my videos. This was the first time I felt compelled to make a video about a product just to show people what it could do. It’s not a technical video, just casting a multitude of plugs and jigs before showing the Jigster take down a #35 on a 3 oz pencil. Don’t let the name fool you, this is not a jigging only rod.

A big thanks to CMS for doing such quality work, the seamless transitions and wrapping done is beautiful. So take the video for what it’s worth. This is directed mainly at my fellow canal rats as another potential option to consider. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of this forum! 

Edited by TimS
We don't discuss or promote other sites here - thanks.

Welcome to the site! Great first post!

Excellent video.  

Finally someone put out a video showing what some of these rods are all about.

Well shot, well planned and very well edited!!

ODM should give you 17 of their rods...As this is by far better than anything i've seen so far about the product. Irregardless of fish caught

Edited by scoobydoo

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Welcome to the site! Great first post!

Excellent video.  

Finally someone put out a video showing what some of these rods are all about.

Well shot, well planned and very well edited!!

ODM should give you 17 of their rods...As this is by far better than anything i've seen so far about the product. Irregardless of fish caught

That is the main reason I made the video! When I was trying to make a purchase decision I couldn’t find any literature, videos, and forum talk was extremely limited. I just though to myself how I’d really like to be able to see the rod loaded up with a variety of different lures!

The blank is so light that I was torn between this and a 5000 series Saltiga. You’re still going to hold 450 yds of #50 braid, the amount of drag is cut in half from a ridiculously unusable 66lbs to 33lbs, and the weight drop is very significant at 29.5oz for the 6500 and 22oz for the 5000. The main reason I went with the 6500 is that the 5.7:1 gear ratio is not available for the 5000 (4.4:1) and for jigging the canal, the high gear ratio is a must for me anyways.  

Great job with the video and post. I gone through what you are doing with using an all around canal rod. I also owned the 1328. 

Now I have more rods then what I thought I would get. They are specific for matching the tide cycle and what weight I will be throwing the most. 

I did cast the ODM 11’ jigster 4-10oz this past summer. I would agree with your assessment that the rod is an all around canal rod. I would add that the rod is more parabolic then what I would like to use for jigging the canal especially the new moon tides. 

Thanks for sharing.

Though I prefer a one piece rod, that isn't an option for something around this length that can this weight range. I have narrowed my consideration down to this rod and the FSC 1269. I hope to get to try out each by next spring. Probably the casting fling at the ditch. 

I am aware this is a two piece but ODM seems to be the only rod mfg producing a one piece using the autoclave nano technology (not this model but the NEX 1) so I'm holding out hope they may produce the jigster in a one piece by then. 

On 10/14/2017 at 6:16 AM, Dan_evan1 said:

That is the main reason I made the video! When I was trying to make a purchase decision I couldn’t find any literature, videos, and forum talk was extremely limited. I just though to myself how I’d really like to be able to see the rod loaded up with a variety of different lures!

The blank is so light that I was torn between this and a 5000 series Saltiga. You’re still going to hold 450 yds of #50 braid, the amount of drag is cut in half from a ridiculously unusable 66lbs to 33lbs, and the weight drop is very significant at 29.5oz for the 6500 and 22oz for the 5000. The main reason I went with the 6500 is that the 5.7:1 gear ratio is not available for the 5000 (4.4:1) and for jigging the canal, the high gear ratio is a must for me anyways.  

doesn't the 5000h have the high gear ratio?

16 minutes ago, TLap21 said:

Yes, the 5000H has a 5.7:1 gear ratio.  

Yes, you’re right. I believe when I purchased my Saltiga 6500h the only 5000 model they had in stock was the low gear ratio. Thank you for the correction, all “h” models are the high gear ratio.

Looks like a great pencil

popper rod. I wonder about the jigging piece of the jigster. Any plans for another video to show the responsiveness jigging 6oz bucktail..

On 10/14/2017 at 11:10 AM, Drew C. said:

nice post and vid. where's the sweet spot on that blank in your opinion?

Drew that’s a good question, and the answer is probably pretty open to opinion, but for me, anything between 4-6.5 loads that blank so nicely.

@young makes a good point with how the rod is definitely more parabolic than you’d think a Heavy/Fast labeled blank would be. I think a big factor is whether you’re throwing a factory rod, or a custom built blank. I tried both, and I’ve got to say that both the layout and wraps provided by CMS stiffened the tip section noticeably. 

The parabolic action of the Jigster is kind of what makes it unique. When Lou first recommended it to me and I heard it was a 4-10 rod, I thought it would be like every other telephone pole I’ve tried with a rating like that. That being said, if I were to pick a dedicated Jigging rod, the Century 1328 would be Neck and neck with the Jigster. 

When it comes to throwing big swimbaits, (I use first generation 9” Magic Swimmers that weigh about 6 oz rigged), big stick shadds, the big tsunami shads, or even 4-5oz pencils, the Jigster really shines. It’s definitely a jack of all trades, master of none type of blank. I use it alongside a Century Slingshot 1327 built by CMS and I feel like they compliment each other nicely.

1 minute ago, levari said:

Looks like a great pencil

popper rod. I wonder about the jigging piece of the jigster. Any plans for another video to show the responsiveness jigging 6oz bucktail..

Tell you what, as a newbie to this forum I’ll make a video showing exactly that. 6 oz bucktail from different angles and try to provide some commentary with it!

1 hour ago, Dan_evan1 said:

Tell you what, as a newbie to this forum I’ll make a video showing exactly that. 6 oz bucktail from different angles and try to provide some commentary with it!

Great Video...:)

wb4.jpg

Looking forward to more.

Lou

Edited by Lou T