Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Humboldt Squid

Are tog line shy????

Rate this topic

154 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Answer the question. lol

I don't know if they are line shy or not.  I do believe this, though... when it is windy and you hear that braid vibrating, the tog hear it too... and I don't think they like it.  I can also report that at least in my fishing memory, all the rip the rod out of your hands bites have come on mono.  If I was taking a total newbie out, I would give them a set up with 30# mono and tell them to just wait for a hard thump.

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

I use 40# normally, but I keep 20# on the side, in case.

I was fishing a couple weeks ago with 20# mono. The guy next to me said that all the fish were on my side of the boat, so I switched with him. Then I started catching fish on his side of the boat.  I didn't ask what size leader he was using but from his posts on here I would guess 40 or 50.

Don’t seem to remember that. Can you fish for tog with 20lb yes, should you imo no catching toy tog with 20 may be ok but constant rubbing on 20 30lb mono you’re risking a break off. 

54 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I don't know if they are line shy or not.  I do believe this, though... when it is windy and you hear that braid vibrating, the tog hear it too... and I don't think they like it.  I can also report that at least in my fishing memory, all the rip the rod out of your hands bites have come on mono.  If I was taking a total newbie out, I would give them a set up with 30# mono and tell them to just wait for a hard thump.

If these guys are using 80lb leader I would have to say they are not line shy. 

18 minutes ago, Humboldt Squid said:

If these guys are using 80lb leader I would have to say they are not line shy. 

What does that really prove?  I have caught tog by sticking the rod in a rod holder and leaving it there while I went and took a dump.  It worked, but I don't know that it is optimal.

It may not prove anything but some people won’t use heavy line thinking that the fish will see it and be spooked. If you can use 80 lb test and catch I would say the fish doesn’t care so go heavy. 

3 minutes ago, Humboldt Squid said:

It may not prove anything but some people won’t use heavy line thinking that the fish will see it and be spooked. If you can use 80 lb test and catch I would say the fish doesn’t care so go heavy. 

you google too much, give it up......you making yourself look bad. 

Umm Tim is one of the people who posted tog are not line shy so who’s the dumb ass now. Go back to the tavern so you can wish death apon everyone and keep your negative comments in that forum. Now how do you block jack asses I’ll google that

11 minutes ago, Humboldt Squid said:

Put 10 guys in a room with a ugly chick.  One of them will **** her.  Does that mean that guys don't care if a broad is ugly?

Edited by Slacker

5 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Put 10 guys in a room with a ugly chick.  One of them will **** her.  Does that mean that guys don't care if a broad is ugly?

don't waste your time with this troll, he's clueless. 

It's funny.  The same guys that believe that line size is meaningless will tell you with a straight face that on a given day, you had to fish half a greenie with 2 legs left on.  

25 minutes ago, Slacker said:

What does that really prove?  I have caught tog by sticking the rod in a rod holder and leaving it there while I went and took a dump.  It worked, but I don't know that it is optimal.

That's all I'm saying. I'm glad some one gets it.

For every google search you do where someone says it doesn't matter, there will be a search where someone will give anecdotal evidence that it does. Just like I did, just like Y did.

3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

It's funny.  The same guys that believe that line size is meaningless will tell you with a straight face that on a given day, you had to fish half a greenie with 2 legs left on.  

I was just thinking that, some days a belly in the line, some days tight, some days legs, some days no legs, shell on, shell off, but leader size never matters.

17 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I was just thinking that, some days a belly in the line, some days tight, some days legs, some days no legs, shell on, shell off, but leader size never matters.

Eggaztly! 

11 hours ago, Slacker said:

YOu'd be surprised. THere's a guy that fishes the OCean Eagle that deadsticks with circle hooks, he fishes 4-6 days a week, and there are times when he will outfish the entire boat. Literally set it and forget it. He has a few teen size fish up to 15-16#'s. IT's  a total killjoy and defeats teh purpose of Blackfishing, but it does work.