Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Humboldt Squid

Are tog line shy????

Rate this topic

154 posts in this topic

Does anyone think blackfish are line shy? Is the bite affected by using heavy leader or do you need lighter line or fluorocarbon? What pound test do you use for your main line and your leader?

for Fishing wrecks or rocky structure I use 40 or 50lb braid and 40 or 50lb leader. Does anyone use anything heavier or lighter and why?

I prefer 40lb fluoro because I'm superstitious. I'll go heavier in January when we're hunting big tog -- 60 to 80 lb.

So generally no with exceptions. One day on the Gaffer we noticed that small hooks were getting bit much better. All dropped down to 2/0 and it was on. Another time, on the OE,  the mate said to lighten up to 30lb leader. We did and slammed them.

I use 40# normally, but I keep 20# on the side, in case.

I was fishing a couple weeks ago with 20# mono. The guy next to me said that all the fish were on my side of the boat, so I switched with him. Then I started catching fish on his side of the boat.  I didn't ask what size leader he was using but from his posts on here I would guess 40 or 50.

I'm new to this mess. Only caught one keeper tog so far in my lifetime so my opinion doesn't matter. Flouro is more abrasion resistant than mono so maybe a good choice if you can take the extra cost. 

1 hour ago, pricise10 said:

how bout this, eff the braid and keep it mono with the same lb leader. 

If we had a poll it would be overwhelming for braid over mono for bottom fishing 

Edited by Tomm24

55 minutes ago, Tomm24 said:

If we had a pole it would be overwhelming for braid over mono for bottom fishing 

If we had a pole, we would also have a stripper and wouldn't waste our time with bottom fishing.

2 minutes ago, Slacker said:

If we had a pole, we would also have a stripper and wouldn't waste our time with bottom fishing.

I corrected my misspelling very funny

I got very lucky tonight water heater decided to leak while I was doing laundry. Won't be back home until Tuesday and live in a townhouse. Neighbor has a key would have turned it off when her bathroom flooded or it was flowing out of my garage. They were so cheap in the 80's didn't put it in a pan. Not sure if I can route a hose outside when its replaced. The unit was installed in 2004 again with no pan. Oh should have put this in Random

Edited by Tomm24

8 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Answer the question. lol

1 hour ago, pricise10 said:

how bout this, eff the braid and keep it mono with the same lb leader. 

I like the nothing but mono rig.  Can be a pain in the ass sometimes to break the stuff off... gets that rubber band stretch thing going.

Edited by Slacker