Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beret

Trolling in Bahamas/Caribbean

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I am a avid surf fisherman/plugs only for many years...........but know jack about boat fishing. I will be in the Bahamas on a sail boat for a few months this winter and will on occassion troll a line for dinner mahi mahi,etc.  I have an old Penn 210 levelline that I just had serviced and will get an inexpensive 6' boat rod. I had the Penn spooled with 65 lb power pro and really not sure where to go from there............do I need a long fluorocarbon leader if so how long........with the clarity of the water will 65 lb braid spook some of the tropicals.......do I need a wire leader for more toothy critters.....suggestions for a couple lures to troll......I am assuming some surface lure like the Roberts and maybe some divers. Understand sailboats do not go fast and most of my fishing will be in the 5 - 7 knot range................thanks guys....appreciate any and all help/suggestion.

Can one of the admins please move this to the "inshore" portion of the boating forum............does not seem that the offshore gets much attention........thanks.

don't worry about braid when trolling, or floro.

I'd keep it simple, something like a green machine with 8' of 100-150 mono behind a mini bird will take anything that swims.  You can even use heavier mono or rig w/ wire between the lure head and hook if you want in case of wahoo, but not necessary imo

You didn't say how big of a sailboat, but realize hull speed on a mid 30s sail boat will be 8 or so knots so forget divers.  Too fast, too much pull, and they probably wont track right so forget that.

Edited by makorider

Thanks guys for the responses. The boat is 44' and yes capable of 8+ knots under the right conditions. AS far as plugs/lures understand I not looking for alot of heavy duty trolling equipment just enough to land a fish or two for dinner. Will lures like the Line Strecher work ???...........how abought the larger Sebile Magic  Swimmer or the Stick shad????........

Simplest thing to do is jigs and or some trolling feathers. Green,yellow and orange combo and a couple pink ones.They don't have to be big either 1oz and less for near surface and a couple oz for a little deeper.

Seems to me a guy who fished the canyon and well offshore told me they used a "cedar plug"..............does that make sense?? Not really sure what it is........

I used to troll a spoon of some sort behind a sailboat on the Chesapeake.

Go too fast, and you have top water action, slow down, and it flutters to the bottom...never tried it in Gin clear waters, though.

If you find the spoon too much on top, tie it off on a 3 way swivel with a weight tied to the 3rd leg.

On 10/14/2017 at 11:59 AM, beret said:

Seems to me a guy who fished the canyon and well offshore told me they used a "cedar plug"..............does that make sense?? Not really sure what it is........

81BAeE3A-wL._SL1500_.jpg

Cedar plugs are simple in design, but will be hard to fish from a sailboat.  At those speeds you will need to pull from down low off a clip....or in your case a rubber band on the swim ladder or something.

As mentioned above, meat rules.  An islander over a ballyhoo behind a small bird....but I assumed you dont want stinky bait around and learn to rig.

So I will say it AGAIN....keep it simple....mini-bird and green machine (or a zuckers/feather, but whatever).  Cheap and easy.  You can fish it slow...you can fish it fast, you can fish it everywhere inbetween, and because you will be on a blowboat, that will be important.  You can't fish it 'wrong'.

31KdU0RV5iL.jpg

Edited by makorider

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are a lot of Wahoo near the Bahamas as well as big kingfish. So always use wire leader. Mahi dont care. A couple of big lipped deep diving plugs and a some balyhoo should be in your arsenal.

Be aware---- If trolling in Bahamas waters you better have checked into customs first and paid all the fees. They will arrest you and take your boat if you dont.

You will all need passports. Any fire arms on board must be reported as well as the exact number of rounds onboard.

Edited by barrell

I have done just this in the past and would suggest feathers, jet heads, or cedar plugs.

I do think that the 209 will be way to small.  In a sail boat you cannot really slow down and fight a fish, so pretty much anything over 10lbs will be a biatch to pull in at 8 knots with the boat moving along.  I would suggest finding an older 6/0 or even an 9/0 and load it with 80lb mono.

sam