4500 SSV reels stiff

peetcon

About 3 year old 4500 SSV - last season it started to feel very stiff when reeling - like pedaling a bike through sand. It spins but takes a fair amount of effort. I have broken down the reel 3 times now and greased and lubed the bearings. It otherwise works but the startup inertia is giving me grief.  Of note it is worse in really cold weather.  

Any remedies out there?

I'm NO expert on the subject, but I own 2 ssv reels, and have brought them both back from sticky grinders to working almost like new. What comes to mind is:

Loosen the rotor nut

Replace bearings, all of them

Clean everything to grease/oil free, then re-lube

Remove a shim

It could be you already thought of these things. Just putting it out there. The Penn parts are inexpensive and arrive quick enough when ordered. I felt more confident talking to a person than online, and the employees were helpful/competent.

Sounds like one or more of the bearings needs to be cleaned or replaced.  When re-lubing the bearing did you check each one by pushing pressure on the inner race and spinning?  By doing so you will feel any roughness or if the bearing doesn't spin free.

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

I thought the bearings seemed pretty smooth. The oscillation gear appeared to be the only part the was worn. When I was reviewing Alan Hawks breakdown seems to coincide with this?  There also appears to be wear in the body - hub -of the reel. Not sure if this is the problem. Of not when I just turn the rotor with my fingers it seems smooth but then reeling is where the problem is.