ChasingTales

Treble hooks

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So I have been playing around with different trebles to find a strong light one especially  for the use on the colt snipers. I started with the owner Zo-wire good hook but it rusts/patina quickly. Daiichi was next size is 6-2(4x) but to me its more like 3x  no 1. Then 1/0-4/0 7x these are greati have used 1/0-3/0 and so far they have all held up well as to rust and are lighy weight.

So what are you guys using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VMC trebles in various size depending on the size of the lure have never straightened on me yet. I have failed on some hook sets due to laziness not hitting my hooks with the sharpening stone after a few trips, to be fair. 

Edited by ChoochFactor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For most plugs I've been using mustad 5x 9430. In the past I was using a lot of 6x vmc which I like alot but the mustad is just a little cheaper in bulk. On a  Few plugs  mostly small stuff I'll use 4x vmcs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ChoochFactor said:

VMC trebles in various size depending on the size of the lure have never straightened on me yet. I have failed on some hook sets due to laziness not hitting my hooks with the sharpening stone after a few trips, to be fair. 

The 2 havent straightened out on me but the zo-wire stx58 rust fast  and the daiichi 2-6 do t seem to be 4x as claimed. Vmc 1 4x are a tad to heavy and cause the shimano colt sniper to sink  amd the 2 is to small imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The VMC 9626PS is a good hook. It’s 4X strong and it’s permasteel finish holds up great in saltwater. It’s pretty much all I use anymore. Eagle Claw 675 is a nice pretty treble.... it’s not quite as strong as the VMC Andy it’s a bit more expensive. 

Do you really need a strong hook? Not really... but when you grab that hook with a pair of pliers and that bluefish starts thrashing around you’ll end up with some funny shaped hooks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ChasingTales said:

So I have been playing around with different trebles to find a strong light one especially  for the use on the colt snipers.

So what are you guys using?

I know you are asking about trebles, but have you ever tried single inline hooks, especially for colt snipers, sp minnows, or mag darters? There have been a lot of threads on inline hooks, and really am interested if you tried them and decided that triples really are better for you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, charliestriper said:

I know you are asking about trebles, but have you ever tried single inline hooks, especially for colt snipers, sp minnows, or mag darters? There have been a lot of threads on inline hooks, and really am interested if you tried them and decided that triples really are better for you.

 

Yes but i have an insane amount of missed and droped fish with singles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, FinS 32 said:

For most plugs I've been using mustad 5x 9430. In the past I was using a lot of 6x vmc which I like alot but the mustad is just a little cheaper in bulk. On a  Few plugs  mostly small stuff I'll use 4x vmcs

 

I like the mustad 9430's so far (1st season trying them) but I noticed they are much bigger than the corresponding sized VMC's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

 

I like the mustad 9430's so far (1st season trying them) but I noticed they are much bigger than the corresponding sized VMC's. 

I ended up weighing a few of the sizes to compare to 4x vmc and 6x vmc. As to be be expected they are way more comparable to the 6x version. The mustad is a little but larger per size, in most of the sizes. If i remember correctly its Slightly less than a full size up from the vmc counterpart in size and  abiut a full size up in Weight  (weight means more to me than size). For the most part I go down a size. I tend to fish larger plugs though  and really dont bother with the smaller hooks, so on plugs I used 5/0 6x vmc I'm now using 4/0 mustad and when I used 4/0 6x vmc I now use 3/0 mustad . I don't really go below that size too much and when I do I'll use the vmc, mostly because my smaller plugs are more affected by a heavier hook and I like to take advantage of the lighter hook for the size in those cases 

Edited by FinS 32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.