CS

Looking for my friend Ben…

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

…Doerr, that is.  Yes, I finally broke my 25-year-old Ben Doerr 8.5 foot surf rod (model SS86M) this past Sunday on a big bluefish.  Yes, I know it’s a relic and there are far superior rods out there, but it had become an extension of my arms over the years and has caught many bass, blues, weaks, albies, etc.  Looking to see if anyone has one gathering dust and willing to sell.  If so, PM me and let’s talk.  If not, I would appreciate recommendations of a similar rod that’s 8.5 feet – that’s my sweet spot, as I find 8 footers a little too short, and nine footers too long – at least for my fishing style.

Hey, I’ll throw in a signed copy of my book “Fish On, Fish Off” for any Ben Doerr takers…

Many thanks in advance for any/all leads…

I remember that rod when they first came out...I went through a couple of the two piece model. I'm thinking the earliest ones are probably closer to 30 years old...and the early ones had a tendency to blow up at the worst possible times :o I do remember they said they found and fixed the issue...but not before I blew up a couple. They were very comfortable rods to fish for stuff up to about 1 1/2oz. Was this a 1 or 2 piece that survived for 25 years?

It was a two piece; nicked-up from countless jetty falls and with yellowing epoxy around the guides -- a battle-scarred war-club.  Nothing threw a 1.5 oz Gibbs Polaris better than that rod...  Geez, I'm missing it already...

26 minutes ago, CS said:

If so, PM me and let’s talk.

Also, the rules have changed a lot since you joined, we don't allow PM sales here - if someone does PM you that they have one to sell, please ask them to post it in the BST Forum as per the rules - thanks :)

TimS

3 minutes ago, CS said:

It was a two piece; nicked-up from countless jetty falls and with yellowing epoxy around the guides -- a battle-scarred war-club.  Nothing threw a 1.5 oz Gibbs Polaris better than that rod...  Geez, I'm missing it already...

I loved mine for throwing 1 1/2oz Hahn needlefish...one of the deadliest lures in the late fall in NJ so many years ago.

Did you break the top or bottom? 

1 minute ago, CS said:

Top section -- right at the second guide from the bottom.  It was a clean snap, just as I was beaching the fish...

Just for giggles, maybe shoot St. Croix an email and see if they can scrounge up a new tip for it...real long shot, but it never hurts to ask :)

Hell, lemme shoot Crazy Alberto a text, he's got some pull with the St. Croix folks...still a long shot, but can't hurt to ask :)

TimS

2 minutes ago, TimS said:

Hell, lemme shoot Crazy Alberto a text, he's got some pull with the St. Croix folks...still a long shot, but can't hurt to ask :)

TimS

That would be awesome!  Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, CS said:

That would be awesome!  Thank you. 

Already sent the message...I'll let you know...it's a long shot, I don't think they've made them in a long time.

Cool.  Thank you again.  But I think you are right -- they've probably gone the way of the Ship Ahoy Jetty, "magic hours" whiting trips, and other fine things from my youth...