Two Piece Rod Stuck

Rate this topic

Reed422

On 10/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, yosco said:

Have your wife hold an end and start yelling at her "G-Dammitt,

Hold It!  Twist IT A LITTLE ! STOP LETTING IT SPIN ! DONT

BEND IT !!  PULLL G-DAMMIT !!!!!  WHERE YA GOING ???

Thats how I do it.

F’ng classic. Well done.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming."

John Steinbeck

14 hours ago, glos said:

lightly protect female part, the beginning of it, than tap with a hammer and spin, tap, spin, two guys in the same time pull from ends..

First of all, whatever you do, DO NOT under any circumstances follow the quoted advice, unless you want to see what a cracked carbon fiber rod looks like. Funny how someone who thinks Titanium is inferior material for saltwater pliers also thinks that a metal hammer will not crack carbon fiber....

Anyone who has owned European Surf rods (Zziplex, Century, etc.) fro any length of time has experienced this problem.  For this reason, I tend to leave them at home in the heat of the summer, and use my old All Star and St. Croix (Ben Doer and Premier) Surf Rods, as I never experience the ferrules on these rods seizing in hot weather.  That being said, what has never failed for me is to wrap the male end with either a bag of frozen peas or, even better, the orthopedic therapy cool packs that you place in the freezer.  Those who know me  know of my multitude of knee/back/neck issues, and know I have a bunch of these packs, which get cold enough to require protecting the skin with a towel, but still do not get stiff. Trick is to wrap the male end snuggly, so that it is evenly cooled all around, thus retaining its circular cross section.  Second trick is to have patience, and if the first pack doesn't work, apply another, try the joint again, and so on.  I do not condone twisting to overcome a stubborn seized joint, as these blanks fail if sufficient twist is applied.

Finally, I never apply heat to a blank unless I am shrinking the handle wrap, and even then I keep turning the blank and moving the heat source up and down the blank to avoid lingering in one spot too long, especially since too long is not a quantifiable time.  Epoxy resin is not welcoming of heat after it is cured (i.e., autoclaved), and can suffer significant degeneration to its bonding characteristics when exposed to heat from a hair dryer. 

Hope this helps.

the advice is given after reading how one guy tried everything and nothing worked, he went to the master work shop repair owner and was successfully relieved of his stuck rod problem

he also did the same thing of joining the pieces in the rain, without it being waxed

Edited by glos

On 2/18/2018 at 3:36 PM, UncleJohn said:

That is exaxtly what I do, I just take a candle and rub it onto the male side of the ferrule.  Never had any problems after applying the wax.     It works like a lubricant that does not dry up.  The wax layer keeps it from jamming in too tight and also works to prevent tip from coming off when you cast, if you ever had that problem 

Additionally, good tip is to try to remove the butt cap to allow pressure inside the blank to equalize.      If you cant get it off then drill a small hole in the butt cap as mentioned by another poster.  This should make a big difference to help you to be able to disconnect the 2 pieces.   

This really works well. I keep a small candle in the truck all the time. Also great if it's your birthday and you are on a beach late at night.

In lieu of candle wax, just rub the male end on your forehead. The trace of oil in your skin will do the trick temporarilt.

Hacksaw the thing in half and use the 2 pieces as tomato plant stakes. Century carp blanks are garbage. 

Edited by Terry Mac

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

35 mins ago, JoeGBreezy said:

This really works well. I keep a small candle in the truck all the time. Also great if it's your birthday and you are on a beach late at night.

In lieu of candle wax, just rub the male end on your forehead. The trace of oil in your skin will do the trick temporarily.

more precisely nose side fat

It happened to me once, so.. After putting a freezer pack around my joint I started licking around the edge of the Female hole. I then put a pair of dishwashing gloves on and lit a candle and shot some lubrication down there. Then I bent over and shoved it between my legs grabbed a pair of Vise Grips and started hitting it with a hairdryer. The bag of ice melted and shorted out into a puddle where my rod was and blew the top right out. Worked perfect.