Two Piece Rod Stuck

Rate this topic

Reed422

1 hour ago, Cutbait Bob said:

Get a good grip on each section behind your knees - then spread them. 

I have a CPS 13 that gets stuck... I mean really stuck even after a good cleaning trying to find the “burr” - it took two of us and I was putting pressure on one of the guides to try to twist it apart. We got it apart, but I worry about next time. 

Any good preventative medicines ?

Years ago we would put a lite coating of wax on the male part. That's what l remember doing with my two peace glass rods so they would come apart.

Edited by LB

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2017 at 8:43 PM, LB said:

Years ago we would put a lite coating of wax on the male part. That's what l remember doing with my two peace glass rods so they would come apart.

That is exaxtly what I do, I just take a candle and rub it onto the male side of the ferrule.  Never had any problems after applying the wax.     It works like a lubricant that does not dry up.  The wax layer keeps it from jamming in too tight and also works to prevent tip from coming off when you cast, if you ever had that problem 

Additionally, good tip is to try to remove the butt cap to allow pressure inside the blank to equalize.      If you cant get it off then drill a small hole in the butt cap as mentioned by another poster.  This should make a big difference to help you to be able to disconnect the 2 pieces.   

Edited by UncleJohn

That happened to me with one of my Diawa's. When I finally got it apart days later, I put some powdered graphite on both sides of the rod, rubbed it in, and problem solved. I guess it came apart when it was in my garage and cooled down ? Never figured that out.

Graphite won't hurt fiberglass, carbon, or graphite rod material.

I ride a bicycle to keep my heart beating so I can go fishing and lose some lures.

I had some powered graphite left over from some bike maintenance I was doing so trial and error worked for once.

Edited by glennsav

There are always a million suggestions on this problem. I had this with a Century SS a few years ago. I'm convinced moisture got trapped in the ferrule and that would be your problem too. Lots of ways not to do this...no wrenches, no heat. I gave up and left the rod on my back deck in the fall into late November and fished it every day. The combination on time, cold and the minimal recovery shaking on each cast did the trick. 

53 mins ago, relentless pursuit said:

No veggies,but i did find a bag of frozen strawberries in my freezer,will that work too?

Anything that's in a bag that's frozen will work. I did the same with an s2 1326, just let it sit for 10 min then pull apart