jkorgood

Airwave Elite and Shield

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I am a pretty new surfcaster, so I have been working with a cheapo outfit that's starting to fail on me. I would like to buy a nice all-around combo that will last me a long time for about $250. I'm thinking of a Tsunami Airwave Elite 10'6 Medium Heavy rod with a Tsunami Shield 6000. Is 10'6 a good all-around length? What size reel goes well with that size? Is this a good combo, or can I put together a nicer combo for the price? Yes, I've read the newbie post but it doesn't answer these questions? So what would you guys recommend? The rod only needs to handle plugs and bait with pretty light sinkers. Thanks guys!

The Tsunami Airwave Elite 10'6" along with the Shield 6000 should suit you just fine for your purposes...and could last you a good while depending on how you fish it as well as how you take care of it. It's a solid setup...particularly for anyone on a budget. The only thing I might offer different (and it's just my personal preference from seeing both reels) would be to pair a Daiwa BG 4000 reel with the Tsunami Airwave Elite 10'6", in place of the Shield 6000. I just felt the Daiwa BG was a more solid reel and at the exact same price point.

I would go with a 5000, not the 6000. They are the same reel just with different spools. The 5000 holds plenty of line. Put 300 yards of 30lb braid on there and you have a nice starter plugging setup. Have it put on in a tackle shop by machine. They will put mono backing and spool it nice and tight.The daiwa bg mentioned above doesnt have any seals. Its not water, wave and dunk friendly.

I would not use for bait fishing. That would require another and different setup.  

Good luck and tight lines..

6 minutes ago, Batman67 said:

I would go with a 5000, not the 6000. They are the same reel just with different spools. The 5000 holds plenty of line. Put 300 yards of 30lb braid on there and you have a nice starter plugging setup. Have it put on in a tackle shop by machine. They will put mono backing and spool it nice and tight.The daiwa bg mentioned above doesnt have any seals. Its not water, wave and dunk friendly.

I would not use for bait fishing. That would require another and different setup.  

Good luck and tight lines..

The new Daiwa BG's have a sealed drag...and while the Shield sports more seals throughout the reel than the BG, the jury is still out regarding how well those seals hold up in regards to it's design. I'm not against it by any means, but I sill haven't seen any updates as to how well the $100 "sealed" reel has done out in the field, when treated like a "sealed" reel could be treated. Time will tell. For what it's worth, my BG 4000 has been sprayed, splashed, and even dunked. Hosed down, dried, oiled and it's been running just like new. Time will tell for the BG as well.

2 minutes ago, Romer Treece said:

The new Daiwa BG's have a sealed drag...and while the Shield sports more seals throughout the reel than the BG, the jury is still out regarding how well those seals hold up in regards to it's design. I'm not against it by any means, but I sill haven't seen any updates as to how well the $100 "sealed" reel has done out in the field, when treated like a "sealed" reel could be treated. Time will tell. For what it's worth, my BG 4000 has been sprayed, splashed, and even dunked. Hosed down, dried, oiled and it's been running just like new. Time will tell for the BG as well.

There is about 500 posts about the shield on here alone if not more, with reviews. I have both and would not trust the bg in the surf. It has a sealed drag, not body. Big difference! There are plenty of reviews on the bg also if you look. It didnt hold up well in the surf.They are both good starter reels depending on the type of fishing being done.

I use a saragosa for the beach and big waves.

1 minute ago, Batman67 said:

There is about 500 posts about the shield on here alone if not more, with reviews. I have both and would not trust the bg in the surf. It has a sealed drag, not body. Big difference! There are plenty of reviews on the bg also if you look. It didnt hold up well in the surf.They are both good starter reels depending on the type of fishing being done.

I use a saragosa for the beach and big waves.

Yes, I've read through that thread...it's loooong, lol. But most of the posts are about shimming spools, line lay, and such...seems to have become a go to "fix it" thread  with the help of John Yacht. I hear what you are saying though...the BG has worked so far for me in the surf, but as stated, only time will tell. I haven't been easy on the reel by any means. I've been using a Spheros for the beach for the past couple of years, and this year I was intrigued by all the talk about the BG and the Shield and wanted to give one of them a shot...I figured for $100, why not. In the end, the BG just felt better in my hands even though the Shield had all of the seals. At this point, the BG held up better than I expected...I'm impressed. I didn't see any threads about the BG not holding up well in the surf...I'll have to take a look. 

3 minutes ago, Romer Treece said:

Yes, I've read through that thread...it's loooong, lol. But most of the posts are about shimming spools, line lay, and such...seems to have become a go to "fix it" thread  with the help of John Yacht. I hear what you are saying though...the BG has worked so far for me in the surf, but as stated, only time will tell. I haven't been easy on the reel by any means. I've been using a Spheros for the beach for the past couple of years, and this year I was intrigued by all the talk about the BG and the Shield and wanted to give one of them a shot...I figured for $100, why not. In the end, the BG just felt better in my hands even though the Shield had all of the seals. At this point, the BG held up better than I expected...I'm impressed. I didn't see any threads about the BG not holding up well in the surf...I'll have to take a look. 

Utube

Get your gear on BST and you can get a great combo for 250. I sold a star paraflex and gosa here for exactly that price. 

My advice, skip the shield and get a shimano spheros or gosa or Penn slammer 3. Why go with an uncertain inferior build when you can get something modern, practically sealed and proven? I bought a shield tore it down then returned it. Just felt like a 100 dollar reel to me. The other reels mentioned above can be had used for 150 and feel much nicer.

Then the airwave elite is a great rod and will do it all for you. Those can be had 100 used.

For 250 you'll have a reel you can beat up and warranty services you can completely trust.