Brighton Bass

Dirty water and surf fishing after dark?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Greetings from the UK. What a great informative forum you have here. This is my first post.

I'm just checking in with you all as I'd value your opinions if you'd be so kind. We are literally years behind you guys when it comes to fishing artificials over here. Fishing the surf after dark with lures/plugs etc.. for our European Seabass is not something we see done here all that much in dirty water. Personally, I lose confidence fishing artificials when the visibility in the water is reduced/zero.

Local to me, when there's a good surf running then we are faced with dirty, cloudy water full of sediment. I usually reach for the bait rod in these instances and have good success fishing large squid or fish baits. I know the fish are present in this dirty surf and I know which stage of the tide is the 'hot' period for a bite. 

My question to you guys is this.....

How do you approach fishing for your stripers with artificials when confronted with high winds, a nice surf running and dirty water conditions after dark? Do you have the confidence to chuck lures/plugs/jigs at the fish and if so what style would you recommend? I'm interested to see if I can apply any of your ideas to my fishing here. 

I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Many thanks.......Sam

Edited by Brighton Bass
grammar

B. BASS,

It's surprising what a fish can locate with its lateral line or scent . What seems unfishable can be lights out at times.

I'll start and other guys will add their two cents because this is a very wide open question.  

One all around lure used in fresh and salt water here is a rattle trap.  It's a lipless crackbait. Just like it's name implies, it has rattles to help attract fish.

Good luck and right lines

Time for a joke

Cool to here from the UK! Would love to see some pics of the water and some UK fish. 

I'll leave the question to the more experienced guys. If you're ever in Jersey drop us a line. Cheers!

I am very interested in hearing what others have to say as well. Up here the tides move so much water that it is mostly muddy, silty water. Everyone I know is throwing bait but I would much rather get into artificials.

Hey Guys, thanks for your replies so far. I'm just heading out to work now.....but would like to chat some more about this subject later..........curious how you guys approach this dirty water situation? So you look at it and think...NO WAY...too dirty for artificials....best stick to throwing some bait...or do you have the confidence to throw artificials? It's an interesting topic, look forward to hearing some more from you all. Here's some of our UK bass pics for now anyways......Cheers!!!

2nd bass.JPG

bass-12.JPG

6 hours ago, Brighton Bass said:

Hey Guys, thanks for your replies so far. I'm just heading out to work now.....but would like to chat some more about this subject later..........curious how you guys approach this dirty water situation? So you look at it and think...NO WAY...too dirty for artificials....best stick to throwing some bait...or do you have the confidence to throw artificials? It's an interesting topic, look forward to hearing some more from you all. Here's some of our UK bass pics for now anyways......Cheers!!!

2nd bass.JPG

bass-12.JPG

18 minutes ago, Spigola said:

Good looking fish.  Who stole the stripes?

That's what I was thinking, looks like a Bass and a Snook got together...:)

wb3.jpg

To stay on track. Ounce the water gets all mucked up, I would reach for the bait rod as well... ;)

Lou

Edited by Lou T

Interesting topic with lots of variables in the northeast surf when striped bass are the quarry.  I've fished Block Island for many years and we have the "dirty/discolored" water problem quite often.  What I've found is that if there is a good amount on bass present to begin with we can still pick away at them with artificials after dark in discolored water.  If it's already a slow pick with clear water then the dirty water will kill any bite we had after dark.  Better off with some chunk bait on the bottom.  Most of our dirty water on Block is produced by rain storm runoff, or big surf during moon tides eroding away at clay bluffs.  I definitely fish more during daylight when the water is discolored.  I also have found that our success during a bright full moon actually improves slightly with discolored water.  We actually would use solid black plugs with more success during both daytime with discolored water and nighttime with discolored water and a bright moon.

What he said ! In addition to black plugs, bucktails etc, try dark (wine red, navy blue) and even crazy colors like dayglo, parrot, electric chicken. They all have goofy names but they help the plag stand out. Rattles help too.

Dirty water at night is a challenge, as mentioned above if there is a good body of fish and bait in the area the bite will continue after dark, sometimes getting much better . As to lure selection my preference is a bottle darter if rough and an SP minnow if not much white water, eels too! Cheers!

As a couple people have said before, a color like parrot (green over chartreuse), yellow, or white are my go to colors with stained water. Rattles are also key. In big dirty surf, a superstrike bottle plug in parrot is hard to beat!

image.jpg

Ill pteface by saying i really only fish at night. So this just applies to that...

Personally I'm not a huge fan of bright plugs in dark stained water. Part of what i like about neon plugs is that the moon almost makes them glow. With dark water and not much moonlight that neon plug just blends in too well. Black on the other hand will stick out a little better. Just is a higher contrast. And I believe stands out better. From my own experiences. I often add a little bit of glitter to some plugs if I know I want to fish them with a dark stain. If you can past awkward looks from drug store cashiers when you buy a bunch of bottles of disco ball colored sally Hanson's nail polish, it's a great way to make your lure a little more noticeable. I fish in some areas where dirty water is pretty common and this works well for me. The fish often are still around you just have to stand out a little more to them. If it's really badly stained sometimes eels become a necessity. Kind of amazing how even the dirtiest chocolate milk colored water how a striker can find an eel with such ease. 

My knowledge of UK bass angling is minimal, but those are spectacular fish.  Congratulations.  

As to artificials in dirty water, I like dark colors, black or "blurple" or a pattern that is mostly black, and a lure that produces a fair amount of thump at the rod tip. The rubber shad body on a jig head that's pictured is fine, though I would reflexively go bigger. A lipped swimmer that swims at the surface if the surf is calm, even if dirty; if not, a bottle darter or a Pikie. I want something that I can feel easily at the rod tip.

My theory of artificial lures in dirty surf, for the less-than-$0.02 it's worth, is that you reach the fish most easily through his lateral line. I fish a pretty steady retrieve, slow but steady, with that in mind; give the fish a steady signal on which to home in.  I have color preferences as noted but I think color is very much secondary.  

Many here can attest to the fact that bass are generally more active in low light conditions.

Many (like myself) prefer to fish at night because of that.

Bass, be they freshwater large mouths or saltwater stripers, can be found more active at night.

The key for this is to have a lure that has qualities the fish can see/sense at night.

That usually means movement and vibrations they can sense with their lateral lines.

The murkier the water, the more important these traits are.

Remember that fish don't have to "see" their prey to attack it, they need to "feel" its presence and then strike.

Sure, clearer water will improve your catch ratio, but when fish are hungry and the water is churned up, they will still strike.

You will definitely have to make more casts, but it tends to pay off in the end.

Here's an example: I fished a pond that had had an algae bloom, which created water quality like green cocoa. If I used a white grub it would visually disappear 5-6 inches down. I switched to rubber worms with ribbon and paddle tails (for vibration) and was able to catch quite a few large mouth bass.

Similarly, using swim shads for stripers on nights where the water was churned up produced fish as well.

Just something to consider when choosing what to bring when you head out.

Oh, and I believe the UK version of our stripers are call rock bass, and are similar in appearance except for the stripes.