Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddha162

Roasted Weakfish

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I must say...weakies are far prettier than they taste. Soft texture, mild flavor (IF you take care of your catch), good roasting shape but otherwise, not a top 3 or even top 5 fish locally. Here I treated this guy like branzini...

Hmmmm....last weakfish I had, which was more than 15 years ago, tasted like a mild bluefish.

Their cousins, speckled trout, are awesome lightly breaded and pan fried. Been about 8 years since I had those either......... I GOTTA get back to Hatteras Island next June after too many years away............... :o)

Weakfish don't taste like anything to me.  Like Sim I haven't eaten one in about 15 years.  Shame that they were thick just about all over the place 15-20 years ago and now you catch them by accident if you're lucky enough to.

1 minute ago, Fly By Nite said:

Shame that they were thick just about all over the place 15-20 years ago and now you catch them by accident if you're lucky enough to.

Actually they're starting to show up again. I had a few the other night at a spot that once upon a time was known for them. Another spot that used to hold them regularly is getting them in again. They're very cyclical, and it's getting to be that time of the cycle I guess.

I agree with Steve that it's similar to cocktail bluefish, maybe even softer. If I wanted to eat that type of fish, I'd take home some small blues. Probably won't "harvest" again, they look 10x prettier than they taste imo.