MattG1205

WADERS

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Can't stand bootfoots. Id rather wade in near frozen water bare legged than wear bootfoots. They're just not comfortabe at all to me and can't find a pair with proper fit even if i wanted to. I find stocking foot more comfortable and better fitting. I walk a lot when I fish so that's important to me. I really have no sand issues either. Good built in gravel guards and boots that flush well and it's a non issues. Orvis silver sonic guide waders and simms freestones boots is my current setup I'm very happy with. 

Edited by FinS 32

13 minutes ago, FinS 32 said:

Can't stand bootfoots. Id rather wade in near frozen water bare legged than wear bootfoots. They're just comfortabe at all to me and can't find a pairbwith proper fit even if i wanted to. I find stocking foot more comfortable and better fitting. I walk a lot when I fish so that's important to me. I really have no sand issues either. Good built in gravel guards and boots that flush well and it's a non issues. Orvis silver sonic guide waders and simms freestones boots is my current setup I'm very happy with. 

FinS

Do they keep your feet warm? 

I see what you mean about the boot being CLUNKY...I've tried a few on at Dick's and found them too roomy. 

Thanks for the input.

3 minutes ago, MattG1205 said:

FinS

Do they keep your feet warm? 

I see what you mean about the boot being CLUNKY...I've tried a few on at Dick's and found them too roomy. 

Thanks for the input.

Yes the stocking foot is neoprene, and you can always wear wool socks and something warm. With my waders I'm plenty worm even in freezing streams and walking through snow. 

What do you plan on doing with them? Fish rocks, beaches, rivers, double duty for duck hunting? Will make a difference in what type and kind. For me I wear stocking foot for the beaches, but would be useless for doubling for duck hunting as my first step would end with a pair of wading boots lost to the muck.  

I don't like stocking foot waders for the beach I've used mine a few times and found the sand getting in the stitching around the elastic on the bottom of the gravel guards, washing all the sand out of the gravel guards is a pain and they constantly get pushed up if there's any decent wave action

If you fish sandy beaches get bootfoots. If you fish rocky areas then it is up to you. 

I have both and the bootfoot at generally more comfortable and convenient. My stocking foot waders are for rocky areas mainly. Felt bottom boots tend to take studs better and the boots tend to offer more support. 

Aquaz Wader Company offers a dynamite bootfoot wader with Boggs insulated boots , I e owned numerous bootfoot waders but these are by far the very best I've used 35 degree water ur warm ! Their tops are a 4 ply Japanese material & it's super tough but very pliable . 

They make same type in Stockingfoot , very hi quality wader not cheap @ $300 bucks but mine are wearing very well on third season now !

Im a Simms stocking foot guy. I got mine for $115 i think and been wearing cheap cabalas felt sole with studs.

Love em for salmon, steelhead, jetties and sandy beaches.

Sand does get in the boots after while. Have to dump it out.

Feet dont get cold if you wear the right socks, and you can throw in a foot warmer when extreme. Hear GREAT reviews on the Beans though maybe next time?

Waders are like shoes they wear out and need to be replaces. I've settled on LL Bean brand. I have both boot footed for saltwater fishing and stocking footed for freshwater. The boot footed waders are simple to put on and comfortable. The stocking footed waders are more cumbersome to put on but the range of boots and options for different sole bottoms is desirable. 

Avoid and vegetation with thorns. Also, gently put waders on because excess pulling can weaken seams and make them leak. 

Very important to wear fleece type pants underneath because even the most breathable waders make people sweat. If you wear pants with seams, like dungarees, the seams will chafe your legs.

If you are taking a big trip have a second pair as back up in case of leaks.

Ted

I use boot footed Cabela's Breathable waders for the sole reason I double duty, use them for hunting and fishing. While they aren't the most comfortable on extended walks, they get the job done.

Boot foots are much easier to put on but there are drawbacks as others have said. They don't provide a lot of support in the ankles and the overall fit isn't always the best with breathable boot foots (neoprene ones fit well because they stretch but are too warm). I have the Bean boot foots and they work well but don't fit great. I am 6'1" with a 34" waste so initially bought a size large. The girth on the large was good but they would bind in the knees when kneeling or even sitting in my car. I traded them for an XL which fixed the binding problem but there is way too much girth for me. It's like wearing a tent until I cinch it down which my surf belt (not the stock one). I wish they made size variations. 

I think I'll end up getting a pair of stocking foots to use on rocks or when trekking and keep the boot fits in the car for convenience and beaches.