The Fisherman

Soft hackles for striped bass

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

A short video sampler of some of my favorite soft-hackled striper patterns. This is going to be part of a new presentation called "Trout Fishing for Striped Bass."

Steve Culton

Not sure what Trout Fishing for Striped Bass means, but the flies are nice. I have a vision of effete anglers standing in the surf with overloaded vests and stomach pumps arguing about the virtues of a size 22 krill fly :) 

I think trout fishing for stripers just means using flies and techniques from the trout fishing world to catch stripers. In our striper world we often think cast and retrieve, cast and retrieve, with something looking like a baitfish. The trout side of things would involve: 

1. indicator/bobber fishing where you make drag-free presentations

2. small wet flies meant to imitate shrimp and other small things

3. dry fly drag-free presentations in current

4. mending techniques in current

5. Checking the bushes along the river, metaphorically, to see what's hatching that day. In the saltwater context this would mean just looking in the water. Sometimes you see crabs, shrimp, worms or amphipods or glass eels and stuff which can help you select a fly.

6. Using versions of trout or steelhead patterns like ants, beetles, hoppers, skating patterns, worms, and that stuff

Not everyone fishes in places where this trout fishing side of things is an option, but if you're lucky enough to fish estuaries or outflows often it can help. 

Edited by Otshawytsha

I've fished that way years back out East End and North Shore of L.I. This is where the techniques worked in tbe creeks dumping into The Peconics from both shores. Swinging flys, feeding fish in lanes floating shrimp/crabs, mending....etc. I carried it to open water and whatever outflows l could find in my area. But its the open ocean beaches where it works as well......nymphing in particular as this year's bass season was in the wash more often than not.