Rate this topic

290 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, gellfex said:

When I saw that I was fan casting an SP all around, since I had no idea what direction they were headed. Did not hook up. But I had blues off both the top and bottom that day.

So we don't know for sure they were bluefish in your screenshot? I thought maybe you hooked some while that school was directly under yer yak...honestly, I don't think those were bluefish...even though you caught blues in the area, I suspect that was a school of bass :)

TimS

19 minutes ago, FL_Bruce said:

By the way, the unit comes with a cv20-tm transducer, which has been customers out-cry for a while. The customer service was nice enough to swap in a gt20-tm. I am sure it'll give me even sharper image.

Bruce...no idea what a cv20-tm transducer or a gt20-tm transducer is...or why one would give you a sharper image than the other. What's the difference between them and why would you expect a sharper image with the gt20-tm?  

Lots of fishfinders are limited by the resolution of the screen, not the frequency or capability of the transducer. A good example is the one Elias is using...you could put a thousand dollar super duper fancy transducer on that unit...it's still going to look a bit like hieroglyphics ;)

19 hours ago, EliasV said:

Def see porgies, I think I see tog when they come off the rock.

Here's a shot of some sharks.

13891887_10101198542059065_9209207349363810073_n.jpg

I gotta ask...how can you tell those are sharks and not schools of bait? I don't doubt that they are sharks...they just look a lot like schools of bunker with bass/blues pushing into the bottom of the schools. Side note: I have the exact same unit rigged up to be portable...I take it to Canada with me to use on lodge boats that don't come with electronics...it's not fancy or high res but it's great to find structure...and the GPS helps not get lost among hundreds of islands :)

TimS

5 minutes ago, TimS said:

Bruce...no idea what a cv20-tm transducer or a gt20-tm transducer is...or why one would give you a sharper image than the other. What's the difference between them and why would you expect a sharper image with the gt20-tm?  

Lots of fishfinders are limited by the resolution of the screen, not the frequency or capability of the transducer. A good example is the one Elias is using...you could put a thousand dollar super duper fancy transducer on that unit...it's still going to look a bit like hieroglyphics ;)

Tim,

I don't know much about that either. There has been a lawsuit raised by Lorance about some key technology, which garmin lost first and then recently got reversed at higher court. Garmin was not allowed to ship gt ducer as boundle. The cv ducer is lack of a down view image. Garmin has to rely on software to stich together to sideview element echos, etc.

I guess it's also the result of first ruling that garmin had to change featuren name dv to cv (downview to clearvu). gt ducer has a downview element and it should give you a good downview.

Anyway, everyone says gt is a better one and you are lucky if garmin agrees to give you a gt.

5 minutes ago, FL_Bruce said:

Garmin has to rely on software to stich together to sideview element echos, etc.

Sounds like you know quite a bit about it Bruce :th:

I remember reading about this...it has to do with structure scan technology...Lorance claimed the technology was protected/owned by them...Garmin had to change the way their machines worked relying on software rather than transducer returns to render the "structure" scan image. I had no idea about the specific transducer part numbers...that's the part I didn't get. I've not seen a Garmin unit with either transducer to know how much of a difference there is between them...I'd love to see a side by side to see how different they are :)

TimS

I'm trying to learn my fish finders as well.  I have a issue where I currently have 6 different fish finders between my kayaks and boats from 3 different manufacturers. Here are some shots from some different ones.

Sharks swimming under my boat while anchored with a Humminbird. We were fishing for them and caught a bunch up to about 7' that day. This model was my first foray into a higher end fish finder and I really liked it. Boat was traded in so I no longer have it.

IMG950412.jpg  

This is the Garmin in my current boat and this is a school of stripers.

2016-11-03_09h47_48.png

My new love, side imaging in my kayak with a small Humminbird.

A bunch of structure invisible from the surface.  The white dots in the upper right are suspended largemouth bass. If you see I also passed right over a log and you can see it in both the side view and in the pane on the left in standard sonar.

DSCF0120-XL.jpg

A sunken overturned row boat passed to my right.

DSCF0114-L.jpg

I know that some of my units have the ability to do screen captures in them instead of me taking pictures with my phone.  I guess I need to read the manula to figure out how to do that and retrieve them.

Edited by willf650
Addition

The reason I bought this Garmin unit is because it's 3-in-1, GPS map, chart-plotter w/ coastal water chart installed, and sonar/fishfinder w/ chirp+down imaging. it's compact for kayaking, and under $300. All others with all these features, you at least have to cough up $500+.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

So we don't know for sure they were bluefish in your screenshot? I thought maybe you hooked some while that school was directly under yer yak...honestly, I don't think those were bluefish...even though you caught blues in the area, I suspect that was a school of bass :)

One of those lockjaw days either way.  Is there anything more to know about settings? Should I be tweaking my gain? So back to the one below, are all those dots just noise not bait and should be tweaked off the screen? What I found interesting in this one is the red in the baitball at 12', is that a predator or just dense bait?

?59dbba2a4f30a_DSCF2963_thjaws.jpg.e10f2ef95a0bf5dd2630c2ce1da2eada.jpg

2 hours ago, TimS said:

I gotta ask...how can you tell those are sharks and not schools of bait? I don't doubt that they are sharks...they just look a lot like schools of bunker with bass/blues pushing into the bottom of the schools. Side note: I have the exact same unit rigged up to be portable...I take it to Canada with me to use on lodge boats that don't come with electronics...it's not fancy or high res but it's great to find structure...and the GPS helps not get lost among hundreds of islands :)

TimS

I hooked multiple duskys under the boat with these marks. Guess it's my conclusion?

58 minutes ago, gellfex said:

One of those lockjaw days either way.  Is there anything more to know about settings? Should I be tweaking my gain? So back to the one below, are all those dots just noise not bait and should be tweaked off the screen? What I found interesting in this one is the red in the baitball at 12', is that a predator or just dense bait?

?59dbba2a4f30a_DSCF2963_thjaws.jpg.e10f2ef95a0bf5dd2630c2ce1da2eada.jpg

It's hard to tell...there are times when there is that much bait around...but they are pretty rare :) More than likely there's just a ton of clutter. The red mark looks like schooled up bait to me...if it were actually a big fish, there wouldn't be any bait in a circle right around it. Look at the picture I posted above where the bunker clear a circle around a bass - they move out of the way :)

Another way to know if the gain is too high - is there ever just nothing under the yak? Cause, most of the time, there should be absolutely nothing in the middle...just empty space :)

TimS

45 minutes ago, EliasV said:

I hooked multiple duskys under the boat with these marks. Guess it's my conclusion?

That makes the most sense :) 

28 minutes ago, TimS said:

Another way to know if the gain is too high - is there ever just nothing under the yak? Cause, most of the time, there should be absolutely nothing in the middle...just empty space :)

This one was the same day, there's far less specks, but a lot of surface clutter. Blues on the bottom?

59dd049dad67c_DSCF2960_thjaws.jpg.91f7cf90a4aeec46d1f786ed747fc7fd.jpg

4 minutes ago, gellfex said:

This one was the same day, there's far less specks, but a lot of surface clutter. Blues on the bottom?

59dd049dad67c_DSCF2960_thjaws.jpg.91f7cf90a4aeec46d1f786ed747fc7fd.jpg

All that clutter on the top suggests you have the sensitivity/gain too high. And it still looks like lots of dots...just on a smaller screen :)  It's impossible to say what those marks are, they could be anything, porgies, seabass, bluefish, weakfish...they don't look like bass...maybe little guys :) 

Each machine shows critters a little differently, too. Best way to figure out what they are is catch some...and then make a mental note what the marks looked like. It's also tough to tell on a tiny screen, I have no sense of proportion really...but they look like really little critters on that screen :)

5 minutes ago, TimS said:

All that clutter on the top suggests you have the sensitivity/gain too high. And it still looks like lots of dots...just on a smaller screen :) 

Perhaps someone with this same very popular model will chime in with some setting suggestions. Odd that default would be so off.

12 minutes ago, TimS said:

All that clutter on the top suggests you have the sensitivity/gain too high. And it still looks like lots of dots...just on a smaller screen :)  It's impossible to say what those marks are, they could be anything, porgies, seabass, bluefish, weakfish...they don't look like bass...maybe little guys :) 

Each machine shows critters a little differently, too. Best way to figure out what they are is catch some...and then make a mental note what the marks looked like. It's also tough to tell on a tiny screen, I have no sense of proportion really...but they look like really little critters on that screen :)

Turn off the surface noise