Rate this topic

290 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, EliasV said:

Thats a lot of biscuits. You motoring up to them send them deep?

The biscuits are crazy thick in the spring time. I think they like to hang around mid depth and move up or down as need be. They also move way off the wrecks. It does look like the boat put them down in the second seabass picture...but the one above it looks like they were coming up to the boat...they are curious critters, they'll follow a hooked fish higher and higher. Early spring they school up much thicker than they do in the summer/fall.

TimS

4 hours ago, computeruser said:

I could never really pick bottom fish like sea-bass, tog, fluke,porgy or similar...

Porgies look a lot like the seabass screenshots above...they make clouds above wrecks and rock piles. Tog you won't see...even on a wreck where you are hooking a tog every time your crab hits the bottom, the only thing you'll see is "fuzz". That's what we call that general fuzziness you see on a fishfinder on a wreck with life it...you won't see individual critters...but you can tell when a wreck has life on it when it has "fuzz"....I'll get a screenshot of a wreck with "fuzz" next time I'm out. 

Seabass and porgies, while considered bottom fish are rarely so close to the bottom that you don't see them. Seabass have substantial air bladders, they show up proportionally much larger than they are. A 2# seabass looks ten times bigger than a 10# bluefish...bluefish don't show well, generally just blue scratches...it's pretty rare to see bluefish show up with yellow much less the red like stripers :)

TimS

7 minutes ago, TimS said:

Porgies look a lot like the seabass screenshots above...they make clouds above wrecks and rock piles. Tog you won't see...even on a wreck where you are hooking a tog every time your crab hits the bottom, the only thing you'll see is "fuzz". That's what we call that general fuzziness you see on a fishfinder on a wreck with life it...you won't see individual critters...but you can tell when a wreck has life on it when it has "fuzz"....I'll get a screenshot of a wreck with "fuzz" next time I'm out. 

Seabass and porgies, while considered bottom fish are rarely so close to the bottom that you don't see them. Seabass have substantial air bladders, they show up proportionally much larger than they are. A 2# seabass looks ten times bigger than a 10# bluefish...bluefish don't show well, generally just blue scratches...it's pretty rare to see bluefish show up with yellow much less the red like stripers :)

TimS

I remember the Spring weakfish spawning tiderunners back in 2007 following each other to the surface also. I've marked tautog similar to sea bass typically on rocks if I pull a few away following the crab. Never seen them on the machine in anything deeper than 20 foot though. 

2 minutes ago, TimS said:

Seabass have substantial air bladders, they show up proportionally much larger than they are. A 2# seabass looks ten times bigger than a 10# bluefish...bluefish don't show well, generally just blue scratches...it's pretty rare to see bluefish show up with yellow much less the red like stripers :)

TimS

Upthread it was said that's mfr dependent, is that true? My pic below was almost certainly blues, but they were very colored. What's in the bottom left though? Just blues deep?

59d6eb376b19f_screenshot1.PNG.1d85783f1999b1bb4e37a136b9163c2e.PNG

5 hours ago, gellfex said:

Can you elaborate about the color and tuning? I didn't realize color indicated size. 

Elias, please tell me that Sheepshead stuff is down in the Chesapeake and not New York Waters!

Sheep NY seems like no one bothered targeting them north of Belmar until they got up here? I think they make it pretty far east on the island even. Landed 21 this year and one bull redfish. Did work at them pretty hard though. Tons of skunks, and head scratchers but eventually got a few down.

Image118.jpg

Edited by EliasV

12 minutes ago, FL_Bruce said:

once you saw the fish, you already passed them, do you guys back peddle to line them up under your boat?

If you are looking for fish with the fish finder...yes, you would motor upwind/upcurrent from the fish so that you would drift back to them. In most of the shots above the fish were over a wreck...we went there to anchor over the wreck. With a school of stripers not associated with a wreck/rough spot, they are moving and more than likely following bait...it'll often take more than one pass to see which way they are going :)

TimS

3 minutes ago, gellfex said:

Upthread it was said that's mfr dependent, is that true? My pic below was almost certainly blues, but they were very colored. What's in the bottom left though? Just blues deep?

59d6eb376b19f_screenshot1.PNG.1d85783f1999b1bb4e37a136b9163c2e.PNG

Not just manufacturer dependent, you can set the colors on many color units. The red/yellow for denser objects is rather universal, I've seen it on many different units over the years. It's more than likely the default from most manufacturers.  To be honest, it looks like the gain on your machine might be cranked up - I don't recall ever seeing bluefish returns with that much red/yellow in them :b:  It looks more like a school of bass or seabass to me...but the little dots underneath the school is what makes me think the gain might be cranked up :)

TimS

9 minutes ago, EliasV said:

Sheep NY seems like no one bothered targeting them north of Belmar until they got up here? I think they make it pretty far east on the island even. Landed 21 this year and one bull redfish. Did work at them pretty hard though.

Image118.jpg

I saw them once...one single time in all the hours I've spent fishing the NJ/NY area. Very, very late at night, fishing near a bridge in the Robert Moses area...a school of five or six of them was making it's way along a rocky drop off...I thought I was seeing things. Never saw one before or since :o They do look like a lot of fun to catch :th:

5 minutes ago, TimS said:

Not just manufacturer dependent, you can set the colors on many color units. The red/yellow for denser objects is rather universal, I've seen it on many different units over the years. It's more than likely the default from most manufacturers.  To be honest, it looks like the gain on your machine might be cranked up - I don't recall ever seeing bluefish returns with that much red/yellow in them :b:  It looks more like a school of bass or seabass to me...but the little dots underneath the school is what makes me think the gain might be cranked up :)

TimS

Ok, settings is no doubt a whole segment of this topic. (I can't tell you how happy I am this topic has taken off!)  Mine is factory default settings, though there's a setup wizard and I said shallow water when asked. 50 is as deep as I ever fish. How does one set these up for our inshore fishery?

Edited by gellfex

15 minutes ago, gellfex said:

Ok, settings is no doubt a whole segment of this topic. (I can't tell you how happy I am this topic has taken off!)  Mine is factory default settings, though there's a setup wizard and I said shallow water when asked. 50 is as deep as I ever fish. How does one set these up for our inshore fishery?

I think one of the more important things that people might overlook when marks show up on the screen is reacting on them. For whatever reason if stripers pour into my screen I always have better luck launching my offering out in front of my kayak as opposed to dropping a jig straight down. Weakfish and other fishies like sea bass it's a different story. 

Just now, EliasV said:

I think one of the more important things that people might overlook when marks show up on the screen is reacting on them. For whatever reason if stripers pour into my screen I always have better luck launching my offering out in front of my kayak as opposed to dropping a jig straight down. Weakfish and other fishies like sea bass it's a different story. 

When I saw that I was fan casting an SP all around, since I had no idea what direction they were headed. Did not hook up. But I had blues off both the top and bottom that day.

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

I am often confused by what my display is ....displaying.

Fishfinders tell a story about what is/was under the boat. Generally, the most important part of the story isn't generally the fish...it's the stuff under the boat. Fish come and go...they move. Learning the bottom lasts a lifetime :read: Even fish that feed in the upper part of the water column will associate with bottom changes, wrecks, rocks, reefs, channel edges, etc. Understanding the bottom where you are fishing is the most important thing you can get from your fishfinder.  High spots...hard spots...busted up wrecks...channel edges...bottom changes...mussel beds...they all hold bait and all attract fish. 

I can't tell you how many times the machine can be loaded with striped bass...and they won't touch a thing. Or top to bottom with seabass and they have lockjaw. Or how many times we'd be knocking the snot out of the stripers or seabass and never see one on the screen. The longer you fish with electronics the more you realize that they are best for learning the bottom...they are also very good at letting you know when there's bait around. Bait is a little tougher to ID than most fish...the structure scan makes it a little easier as you can see individual bait fish and get a sense of whether they are small or large. Most bait schools, when undisturbed, tend to be a solid, continuous shape. Generally roundish...sometimes the schools are so big they'll fill the screen...sometimes they are so thick the machine will react as if the school of bait is the bottom and the depth will actually change on the machine :b: In other words...you are in 50ft of water...and idle over a very thick school of bunker twenty feet down....when they are crazy thick, the machine will adjust and display the bottom at 20ft...it will correct itself when the school thins out :)   When there are fish in/around the bait schools, they will often break up into smaller groups...like in this picture - the bass are beating on these bunker, the school is breaking apart and little groups are being targeted by groups of bass - you can see where the bass are heading into the smaller schools and see how the bait moves away from the charging fish...this is a pretty cool screen capture...

schools-of-bass-and-bunker-on-fish-finder.jpg

I just bought a garmin echomap chirp 44cv. As soon as I noticed it could display my jig sinking into the bottom, I realize it'll be my lifetime fishing buddy . I am looking forward to catching a few stripers this fall.

By the way, the unit comes with a cv20-tm transducer, which has been customers out-cry for a while. The customer service was nice enough to swap in a gt20-tm. I am sure it'll give me even sharper image.