Rate this topic

gellfex

problem with gas kicker motors or main motors is turning props at the back of the boat where all the fishing lines are dropped

I believe Yamaha set point is part of the helm master system which is like a $15,000 option, and that's assuming you have fly by wire motors, $10000 upgrade per motor

trolling motors can be set up quick release, 5 minutes to install/remove

the ability to move 5' in any direction with the push of a button makes finding fish so much easier

for my ride, I actually have the space for 3 batteries in the console, I dont have a good location on the bow to mount the motor, and I definitely dont have $3000 to spend for the little bottom fishing I do

Edited by ferret

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

That's what drives me buggy, and makes me consider the side imaging even though I think they're too big for my kayak and can't shoot through the hull. Last fall a school of bass went under me while togging, and I had no idea which direction they went! Obviously by the time I had a plugging rod in my hands and fan casting they were long gone.

You could get the switchblade transducer arm since you can't shoot through the hull. The 7" Humminbird SI G3's ducer is small compared to the 9" and up. 

1 hour ago, ferret said:

the ability to move 5' in any direction with the push of a button makes finding fish so much easier

The last thing I wanna do while double anchored is move five feet. Ideally I don’t want the boat to move 1 foot. Sliding back and forth over the spot I wanna fish constantly is the worst thing you can do black fishing...sea bass fishing is wouldn’t matter as much. Then again you can see the sea bass on a piece well before the first anchor goes over :)

I agree having props turning all over trying to stay on a spot would be a big potential problem.  The other downside to a bow mounted trolling motor is that the bow is often bouncing in and outta the water...the noise of a prop spinning out of the water at the top of every swell/wave might result in the egg beater becoming part of the structure :freak:

Double anchoring is very quiet ;)

Not every day that tuna come within casting range by while toggin...so far just that once...since the mid 80s. It’s a problem that might not need solving ;)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, Letdatbassknock said:

You could get the switchblade transducer arm since you can't shoot through the hull. The 7" Humminbird SI G3's ducer is small compared to the 9" and up. 

It's not the size of the transducer but of the head unit between my knees!  Some pedalers have them on their gunwales but I paddle, and by my feet I would not be able to see or reach it. I can't read the sounding marks on the Navionics chart as it is. I'm sad Lowrance has discontinued their vertical format 4" units.

• 2 weeks later...

Edited by TimS
I moved your previous post to it’s own thread to keep this one on topic. This thread isn’t a discussion about what machine to buy, it’s a discussion about interpreting what we see on the screen.

• 10 months later...

Usually I'm a shore-bound angler, but always nice to get out with some friends. This day last week was one for the books....

666.jpg

"I learned from Javier the Russian, that you never, never sit down while fishing a chunk. You gotta respect the fish, respect the bite."

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Bass near rocks I'm assuming? Lots of bass-y looking arches today. But blues were around too.

20200628_085158.jpg

20200628_085443.jpg

Looks like bass near schools of bait...those scratchy irregular shaped marks at 10-15 feet could be the bluefish...they don't make nice arches like bass :)

TimS

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Looks like bass near schools of bait...those scratchy irregular shaped marks at 10-15 feet could be the bluefish...they don't make nice arches like bass :)

TimS

Would make sense. Blues were breaking the surface for the whole 5 hours I was on the water. I'm still trying to learn how FF'S work,  but I have noticed a difference between types of fish and their marks.

7 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Would make sense. Blues were breaking the surface for the whole 5 hours I was on the water. I'm still trying to learn how FF'S work,  but I have noticed a difference between types of fish and their marks.

Seabass look a lot like little stripers on the screen...real good arches for such small critters :) Bluefish are always scratchy. And bass cruising slowly look like arches...when they are tearing into a school of baitfish they look like squiggly lines with a red center. Rocks would be better attached to the bottom, you wouldn't see any kind of separation or color change between them and the bottom...that's why I'm going with schools of bait for those rocky looking things :)

59 mins ago, TimS said:

Seabass look a lot like little stripers on the screen...real good arches for such small critters :) Bluefish are always scratchy. And bass cruising slowly look like arches...when they are tearing into a school of baitfish they look like squiggly lines with a red center. Rocks would be better attached to the bottom, you wouldn't see any kind of separation or color change between them and the bottom...that's why I'm going with schools of bait for those rocky looking things :)

Good to know