Rate this topic

261 posts in this topic

Some of us struggle to interpret what we see on our FF, and thought a thread on the subject would be interesting. I've got at least 1/2 doz interesting shots, here's one. Anybody want to take a crack at what's going on here? This is on the edge of a Raritan Channel the last week in June. Is that blues or adult bunker on the bottom? I figured it's small baitfish in midwater.

59dbba2a4f30a_DSCF2963_thjaws.jpg.e10f2ef95a0bf5dd2630c2ce1da2eada.jpg

22 minutes ago, EliasV said:

Big Sheepshead Schools from this summer - 7-15lb fish. 

Good lord that's a minecraft sonar...might be easier to render ancient hieroglyphs! 

Do you ever see porgies on the graph? Tog is probably hopeless lol

3 minutes ago, buddha162 said:

Good lord that's a minecraft sonar...might be easier to render ancient hieroglyphs! 

Do you ever see porgies on the graph? Tog is probably hopeless lol

Def see porgies, I think I see tog when they come off the rock.

Here's a shot of some sharks.

Like the other two comments said - thing is a dinosaur and probably useless for most.

13891887_10101198542059065_9209207349363810073_n.jpg

This is already pretty interesting, none of these are the classic fish arches that you see in the manuals and tutorials for these devices. I've seen complete blotches and messes like that Sheepshead pic and have had no idea what I was looking at.

I really thought you would have splurged to a color unit already.

My first thought would be Sea Robins due to the lack of color for the size,  should be some yellow to red for blues. You have a lot of surface clutter from air or not tuned right during set up.

10 minutes ago, rick smithtown said:

My first thought would be Sea Robins due to the lack of color for the size,  should be some yellow to red for blues. You have a lot of surface clutter from air or not tuned right during set up.

Can you elaborate about the color and tuning? I didn't realize color indicated size. 

Elias, please tell me that Sheepshead stuff is down in the Chesapeake and not New York Waters!

Edited by gellfex

Here's a few I illustrated last year for someone that asked :)

A couple basics....to some folks, these things are obvious...to other folks they are little pieces of the puzzle that help them understand what they are looking at :)

These pictures represent a period of time - not a snapshot of what is under the boat now. These machines basically take a picture of what is below the boat right now...it's drawn on the right side of the screen...then another picture is drawn and the previous picture moves to the left....this happens over and over and over again. The most recent look at what is below the boat NOW is all the way to the right. The stuff on the left is what WAS under the boat. How long it takes for something that was under the boat to move so far to the left that it's no longer on the screen depends on the scroll speed. Always, the most recent view of what is under the boat is to the right...the oldest view to the left :)  

schools-of-bass-and-bunker-on-fish-finder.jpg

This one shows seabass spread out over a broken up wreck. The wreck shows up as those little raised bumps of red towards the right side of the screen. 

seabass-over-broken-wreck.jpg

This is a much taller wreck, also busted up as you can't really make out the various layers of the wreck.

seabass-school-over-wreck.jpg

This last one is from the structure scan transducer...definitely the best representation of what is actually under the boat including relative size of the fish:

striped-bass-and-bunker-on-fish-finder.png

2 minutes ago, gellfex said:

Can you elaborate about the color and tuning? I didn't realize color indicated size. 

Elias, please tell me that Sheepshead stuff is down in the Chesapeake and not New York Waters!

Color indicates density, not necessarily size. Bass have large air bladders - bluefish don't. A 20# bass will show up as a large arc, generally red. A 20# bluefish shows up more like a blue scratch...no air bladder.  

While bait travels you see what you have in the center of your pick you have above. As they condense you'll see yellows then red as the unit starts to see them as one. Like Tim said about density.

However with the lowrance you'll have reds and yellows with the blues. At least in the depths we frequent. My Helix not so much color on blues.

27 minutes ago, TimS said:

Here's a few I illustrated last year for someone that asked :)

A couple basics....to some folks, these things are obvious...to other folks they are little pieces of the puzzle that help them understand what they are looking at :)

These pictures represent a period of time - not a snapshot of what is under the boat now. These machines basically take a picture of what is below the boat right now...it's drawn on the right side of the screen...then another picture is drawn and the previous picture moves to the left....this happens over and over and over again. The most recent look at what is below the boat NOW is all the way to the right. The stuff on the left is what WAS under the boat. How long it takes for something that was under the boat to move so far to the left that it's no longer on the screen depends on the scroll speed. Always, the most recent view of what is under the boat is to the right...the oldest view to the left :)  

schools-of-bass-and-bunker-on-fish-finder.jpg

This one shows seabass spread out over a broken up wreck. The wreck shows up as those little raised bumps of red towards the right side of the screen. 

seabass-over-broken-wreck.jpg

This is a much taller wreck, also busted up as you can't really make out the various layers of the wreck.

seabass-school-over-wreck.jpg

This last one is from the structure scan transducer...definitely the best representation of what is actually under the boat including relative size of the fish:

striped-bass-and-bunker-on-fish-finder.png

Thats a lot of biscuits. You motoring up to them send them deep?

Tim ...very nice explanation...I would add to it that the frequency is the one that plays the role how you see the fish...455Khz will show fish as a dot ( also called structure scan) ....800 khz as an even smaller dot ( on my Lowrance Elite 5DSI)...people typically use 80/200 Khz where bass is being shown as an arch ( I would assume due to movement and large bladder)...bluefish is more as a blotch...bunker would be as a dense cloud...I could never really pick bottom fish like sea-bass, tog, fluke,porgy or similar...