fishinbill

Cooke Seafood to Acquire Omega Protein

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Is anyone familiar with Cooke’s track record on conservation?

 

For those who may not follow the issue Omega is the #1 (maybe the only?) US commercial harvester of mehaden for use in consumer products. 

Edited by fishinbill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that. I’d have to think that it’s not good for the bunker. 

 

I can’t unders why harvest of a keystone species like bunker is allowed in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm hoping for the best, but a big company does not enter a market hoping that it shrinks. They apparently see the potential for increased yields and/or increased profits on existing yields. 

Edited by fishinbill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, fishinbill said:

Yeah, I'm hoping for the best, but a big company does not enter a market hoping that it shrinks. They apparently see the potential for increased yields and/or increased profits on existing yields. 

I have to agree.  This does not look good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cooke seems to be specialized in farm salmon. Omega protein could potentially supply them with a cheap and plentiful feeding supply.  I too have to agree that it's not looking good for the bunkers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hobobob said:

Cooke seems to be specialized in farm salmon. Omega protein could potentially supply them with a cheap and plentiful feeding supply.  I too have to agree that it's not looking good for the bunkers.

That could run into anti trust law problems.  Where is the RFA and the Sierra Club when you need them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

That could run into anti trust law problems.  Where is the RFA and the Sierra Club when you need them.

Rfa, my guess is that they would be for an increased harvest since their main focus is getting the largest pile of fish that they can remove from the stock at any point in time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

There’s also money to be made by having a healthy forage base too...

But not by the same people.

 

Omega employs 200-300 people in Virginia, and Omega has so successfully lobbied and contributed to local political campaigns that the Legislature has reserved to itself any authority to make rules that might limit Omega's take.  Who contributes campaign money for the health of the ecosystem?  Nobody.  The Sierra Club and similar groups are fighting a rear-guard battle to slow the rate at which the Administration is reducing environmental protections, as with today's announcement that Obama-administration rules pertaining to the reduction of ash and metal pollution from coal will be ended. 

 

Broadly, any program that seeks to administer an ecosystem as a whole, be it marine or otherwise, would create winners and losers. This would draw instant screams of socialism and communism.  Protecting the bunker stock more aggressively might create an expanded charter boat industry, but it might also shut down Omega's operations.  And right now, Omega has the ear of the legislature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly doesn't bode well for the menhaden...or the predators that feed on them...

 

Just read some of the sidebar "articles" on the Omega Protein site, I have to wonder what version of reality they are living in.

 

“Omega Protein will provide us with another platform in Cooke’s growth strategy through further diversification in the supply side of the business. We believe this will be a very good fit between our two cultures. Omega Protein has a 100-year history with an experienced and dedicated workforce, which we value, and a tradition of operating in small, coastal towns and communities that we share. Their focus on sustainable aquaculture and agriculture and the production of healthy food is also a great fit with our experience and culture.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, banjer said:

Certainly doesn't bode well for the menhaden...or the predators that feed on them...

 

Just read some of the sidebar "articles" on the Omega Protein site, I have to wonder what version of reality they are living in.

 

“Omega Protein will provide us with another platform in Cooke’s growth strategy through further diversification in the supply side of the business. We believe this will be a very good fit between our two cultures. Omega Protein has a 100-year history with an experienced and dedicated workforce, which we value, and a tradition of operating in small, coastal towns and communities that we share. Their focus on sustainable aquaculture and agriculture and the production of healthy food is also a great fit with our experience and culture.”

 

 

Typical corporate self aggrandizement and promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.