quonny

Daiwa lexa 300 conventional help

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have used a couple times Daiwa lexa 300 reel, and I want to put it on a Loomis Mag bass 844 casting rod for stripers. yes it is a freshwater rod, but it is plenty of stick. I spooled the reel with mono( not sure which one, back country 15lb I think). I tried it a couple times, and the mono has a huge memory issue. Comes off like a slinky. So i was going to go to 15 lb braid. Now i read that I should be using 30 to 50 pound braid to aid in backlashes. I guess I have no idea what I am doing. I need line and casting advice, or should i sell it and get another Shimano Stradic? I really would like to use one of these successfully. Thanks

Edited by EricJ
trying to delete post

30# Stealth. Even if you backlash, which is not that easy to do on the Lexa, it pulls out just as easily as mono.

The 300 Lexa HD has become my favorite conventional reel, even over some that cost 3 times as much - keep it !

Edited by Sudsy

I agree,keep it and if you want mono you can go with 20lb salt striker copolymer from cabeles,it's thinner than standard mono and almost no memory.

bulk spools online at cabelas and on the cheap too.

3000 yards for like 20 bucks when they have it on sale,even more at time like up to 4500 yards for 30 bucks.

HH

If you are new to braid 15 is very very thin.  The 30 will help you learn without expensive backlashes.  Wind knots on spinners can always be untangled, but backlashes with braid on a baitcasters cannot and are expensive.  I throw 3/4 oz lures with 40lb all the time.  Remember its only the width of 8lb test mono (on average)

8 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

If you are new to braid 15 is very very thin.  The 30 will help you learn without expensive backlashes.  Wind knots on spinners can always be untangled, but backlashes with braid on a baitcasters cannot and are expensive.  I throw 3/4 oz lures with 40lb all the time.  Remember its only the width of 8lb test mono (on average)

Got ya ! I use braid for everything. 8 lb fireline for fresh water and 10 and 15 # Power Pro for all my inshore fishing. I fish all light tackle. I just do not have conventional experience

Edited by quonny
add

Amen to what shipwreck said about 15lb being too thin. I had this same issue years ago using too light of braid, and now I'm using 30lb braid w excellent results.

You'll have a lot of fun w that Lexa and a Loomis Mag Bass once you get the hang of it! Great light setup!

On 10/10/2017 at 7:32 AM, quonny said:

I want to throw soft plastics with this also. What is my problem if I use say 15 lb power pro, and not a 30 lb line?

You'll be cutting out the backlashes with PP, even 30#

On 10/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, TopwaterPete said:

Amen to what shipwreck said about 15lb being too thin. I had this same issue years ago using too light of braid, and now I'm using 30lb braid w excellent results.

You'll have a lot of fun w that Lexa and a Loomis Mag Bass once you get the hang of it! Great light setup!

Thanks, I believe it will be a great outfit too. I bought the rod and an old daiwa millionaire, and only used it a couple times. could not get the hang of it. Do you think it will be OK for plastics with jig heads @ 1/4 oz.?

30# Spiderwire Stealth - it's pretty much the only line I use on conventional. Backlashes pull out as easily as it they were mono

When you get better with the conventional other lines will work as well. I like the new Daiwa J Braid, played with it for a fall season with absolutely no issues at all

9 minutes ago, quonny said:

Thanks, I believe it will be a great outfit too. I bought the rod and an old daiwa millionaire, and only used it a couple times. could not get the hang of it. Do you think it will be OK for plastics with jig heads @ 1/4 oz.?

Maybe, and I say maybe only because 1/4 is the lowest I’d consider throwing with that reel/line combo. The rod’s action will help you cast 1/4 oz if nothing else. If you have say a paddletail swim shad or other bulky plastic that will up the total weight of the lure you’re casting, you should be OK. It also depends on your ability w a baitcaster. 

Edited by TopwaterPete