newportrockhopper

Heat shrink ID?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I am looking to get some shrink wrap to put over cork on a St Croix Legend I am building but not sure what ID I should get for the shrink. Any one have a similar rod that they could suggest a shrink size? .984", 1.18", 1.38", 1.57"

I may have misunderstood your question but as long as the shrink tube fits over the cork youll be good.  The transition from the shrink to the blank (top of fore grip) is gonna be the tough part as the stuff will only shrink so much.  I would buy the smallest ID shrink that fits over the grips for this reason.  Also, use adhesive to keep it in place permanently.  Once you install it, you may get a wizards sleeve (lol) in front of the fore grip that will likely not be tight on the blank.  If this is the case your gonna need to get creative with thread to soften the transition via a ramp.  Hope this helps.  

4 hours ago, newportrockhopper said:

I am looking to get some shrink wrap to put over cork on a St Croix Legend I am building but not sure what ID I should get for the shrink. Any one have a similar rod that they could suggest a shrink size? .984", 1.18", 1.38", 1.57"

The 1.18” size would work well for your rod. On a side note, heat shrink has a shrink ratio. Example 4:1 or 2:1 shrink ratio. 4:1 ratio is it will shrink from 4” to 1” and 2:1 is it will shrink down from 2” to 1”. 

Be aware with a spiral tape grip (Paco) assure the size will correctly shrink to the blank not the tape. If you get a larger size to ratio down on the tape you may not have it shrinkenough to the blank. Second the adhesive, Contact cement or spray adhesive. Put it on let dry, slide shrink over and heat.

And not all shrink is created equally.. some thin and will tear way to easy for me.. other thick and hardy.. the stuff they used to sell at mudhole as quick grip was great.. last batch I got had diffent skue but was still called quick grip and was thin and pure garbage.. 

would love to find more or the original stuff.. there's a lot of sites that sell loads of different types of shrink tubing.. just google them up and start your research