ZATsol

Clearwater Florida ???

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello!

Looking for suggestions for my upcoming weekend trip to Clearwater Florida.

It will be weekend of November 10Th.

The plan is to stay in CLEARWATER BEACH. I think I will have one morning to fish.

I’m not familiar with the area so any information welcome. Where to go and what flies to use?

Do I need waders or it will be warm enough for wet wading? Please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance!

Clearwater beach early in the morning has some snook feeds but you'll have to do some walking for them. Honeymoon Island is great as well on the north side. Should be warm enough to wet wade at this time of the year, I was in January/February... Stop into Tailwater Outfitters and talk to the guys there and they'll give you some good info on flies and productive spots.

St Joseph Sound take a look and study it you will find it’s a great fishery . It’s no secret . That Honeymoon Island Caladesi Island has some of the best fishing in Fla . 

1 hour ago, ZATsol said:

Thank you for the information!

I guess I will need to rent a car to get to these islands.

Do I need a license to fish there?

Thanks again!

If you need a car license equipment for one day that’s a lot of drag Would you consider a solo charter 4 hrs $ 375-400 might be your best bet .  I would do the charter have them pick you up . Use their set ups fish  have fun walk away . Be happy .

Thank you for your offer, Hook I!

Unfortunately, I will not be able to use it. It’s a family trip and I do not have fixed schedule. It could be one morning or two or none. So, I will have to do it DIY. But thank you anyway!

Plans changed a little. We are staying in the resort in the middle of St. Pete beach, south of Clearwater. I can see there is Fort De Soto park. It seems to be shorter drive than Honeymoon island. Will you recommend fishing there? Or Honeymoon much better and worth longer drive?

One more question about fly lines. I have tropical line on my rod. Will it work in November there? Or do I need cold water line. I have OBS freshwater as well. I’m not sure which one to load.

Thanks again!

ZAT,

I've fished both a bunch. I prefer De Soto. You will be able to use either lines.  Just strech your tropical line. If its real cold your cold water line might work better. I prefer a floating line on the beach. I use an SA Grand Slam. Where are you staying? I may be able to recommend some place closer to your hotel. Feel free to DM me.

Thank you, Stickmd!

We are staying in Sirata Beach Resort. Less travel time is more time on the water. Is there any local fly fishing store close? I want to stop and pick up few local flies.

Thanks again!