Mainiac

Last day.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Tomorrow is my 58th birthday. It's also my last day of fishing for the season. This is my usual quitting day and this year will be no different. 

Been a very strange year for striper fishing for me. Did unbelievably well in May and June and went nearly fishless in July and August. September was a huge disappointment , yet the last week has been decent. I give up trying to guess what's going on with our striper fishery.

Right now I'm just beat up,sore and more than a little depressed that the season is over. Time to heal old wounds and rest worn out joints. Best of luck to those still at it and see you all come May.

Mal

"Strange" kind of sums it up. July might have been my worst July ever, followed by an August that was likely my best ever. It's been a season of as many very high highs as there were very low lows. Wildly inconsistent. If I was betting all I had on striper season predictions, I'd be living in a cardboard carton drinking cheap wine now. :kook:

-bd

Happy Pending Birthday Mainiac!!!

Im' hoping to do a beach run one night this week or this weekend and then Deer season will take over my spare time.  Boat being hauled on Halloween so I may sneak out here and there to catch micros on ultra light tackle.  

I certainly felt fortunate this year that a consistent population seemed to hold in my area.  I do attribute that to a larger bait fish that is still around in good numbers, despite the constant hauling.

I've never seen that bait survive an entire season.    Well, yes I have, in the last good striper season that I saw, 2003/2004 I think.

Hopefully it bodes well for the future. 

tight lines everyone

Jim

Excellent Birthday ! Fished Biddeford, Wells, and Ogunquit with two friends. Only got a few dinks but what a beautiful day. 74 degrees on October 10th !?! Unreal how nice it is !

Edited by Mainiac

This year has been the most productive  I've had in 10 years. For me, since May it has been so consistent (admittedly, mostly for 18-24" schoolies) that I've pretty much retired the live bait and plugs and have been exclusively using flies. 

This warm October weather has been an added plus!  I hope this is a sign of great years ahead as those schoolies eventually become cows!

As to this season, I'm not retiring until the stripers have all migrated! 

this was a really good year for me. September was the only sub par month. 

a modified SP minnow in mother of pearl caught 100's - maybe even 1k - fish this year from 12"- 45". I love that lure it was catching last night in the dark no need for blurple.