WTB Surf Stick

Rate this topic

cashews121

Tsunami has a few good options from $50 all the way to $200. Tsunami Tuff Tip, Trophy Series, Airwave (Elite). Penn has a few as well I have heard good things about. Penn Battalion and Prevail. I was actually thinking about picking up a Prevail 9' tomorrow. Would like to hear some others suggestions too.

For the price (~ $50) the Pinnacle PTG1002BWSM is decent. I have the 9 foot version, and while I haven't used it a lot yet, the times that I have I had no complaints. I bought it to replace my Tica that snapped after ten years due to abuse on the rocks of the CCC :o

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I'm also looking for a new surf rod but a 2pc. My current one doesn't fit in wife's zoom zoom car and thats the car we take to the beach. I'm not as a hardcore fisherman as I used to be so doesn't have to be anything super fancy.  

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover - Mark Twain

Tica TC2 looks nice. Thats my one piece I bought years ago. Thanks

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover - Mark Twain

That is what the Pinnacle I bought replaced, except my Tica was two piece.

The Tica was a bit more pricey, wanna say $75 10-12 years ago, and that was when the guides were questionable.

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

10 ft tica is kinda stiff but, the 9 ft uhea is a great rod,you can do lots with it.

I loved my first one so much I bought another the next day.

another option is the penn prevail 10 ft rated 1-4 oz,great stick with plenty scrots and light.

I have the winch style model and love it.

for 68  bucks I should have bought 2 but,I don't need another rig.

it can throw a bit more that 4 oz if need be,I just lobb it a and it handles it fine.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

On 10/9/2017 at 1:32 AM, cashews121 said:

looking for a 10 ft..Spinner nothing expensive...but please no ugly sticks

I'd also recommend the Star rods like Redfin did. I own two and they are amazing for the money. However I'd go with the Stellar surf model ($130 vs $80) as the extra $50 is price difference is worth it for the guides alone, not to mention the nicer blank it's built off. I guess the decision depends on what you will be using it for. If you are throwing bait and weight then honestly any of these will do. If you plan to use artificials then I'd go with the Stellar, even though they both have the same lure weight rating of 2-5 ounces, which is heavy in my books - too heavy...

Personally for all purpose plugging I'd be looking for something with a 3/4-4 ounce rating. You will spend a little more again, but it is worth it in my opinion. You want to be able to load the rod with a light lure and still get a decent cast. Check out the the 9'6" Tsunami Airwave Elite which goes for around $150. I think the Airwave Elite rods are some of the best performance you can get under $200, and the 9'6" in particular is a great price if you don't mind losing those 6 inches. St Croix Triumph is around the same price but it is not as nice as the Tsunami rod.

I recently ran through this decision making process myself, that's why the long response. It's all about striking that balance of price, performance, rating for your intended use, and warranty. I ended up going with a 10'6" St Croix Mojo - which is even more money at $230 - because it had that balance of criteria for me.

If you can wait one more month, we introduce new 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod for $200. 

You can compare this rods with high-end rods for action, performance and craftmanship. 

The rating of the rod is 3/4 oz - 3 oz.

Edited by ksong

The Lamiglas Insane Surf would be an affordable option for ya, I think $150 right now on the website. Both a 10' Medium and Medium Heavy. Solid rods for the money, K frames, X flock handle.

Just like the Striped Bass I'm native to the East Coast and invasive on the West Coast.

Lamiglas, Inc - Marketing, Brand Manager, Rod Developer, NE Regional Sales Manager