Buckscorider

Split Ring pliers

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Im looking for a a pair of pliers that will open a heavy duty split ring better than these. Don't want to spend a fortune. 

The hook in the picture os a 3/0 4X and it's literally a two man job to get the hook on a ring. Just won't open it enough.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

20171008_190430.jpg

Rapala makes some good split ring pliers with much more of a beak than the ones you have there. Cost like $10-15. I have some of the stainless ones and I use them on my belt when I'm out as well...

Xuron 496 split ring pliers. 

Check out the size of the front "tooth" on these pliers compared to the ones in your photo. 

Get these and end the frustration.

Available from Am*zon if not at your local tackle shop.

11 hours ago, TheNapeaguePissMan said:

Rapala makes some good split ring pliers with much more of a beak than the ones you have there. Cost like $10-15. I have some of the stainless ones and I use them on my belt when I'm out as well...

Shimano is a ditto, but might cost more. I have a pair that is at least 10 YO and have never met a ring / hook combo it would not handle. Small too.

14 hours ago, HellRaY said:

HPA

I agree, well worth a few extra bucks. They are used on split rings in the range of 50 - 300lbs. 

Years ago, I think I paid around $39. for them. Today they are $54 - $64, but I would buy another pair tomorrow if I had to. They are that good!

Lou

pliers_1200px_wide__69281.1387516917.1200.1200.jpg?c=2

Edited by Lou T

We developed X-large split ring pliers for 3/0 or 4/0 Treble hooks with Texas Tackle.

You can find them at jignpop website.

It is handy and is only $20.

texastackle1.jpg

texastackle2.jpg

Edited by ksong

I use the same Texas Tackle pliers and have no problem putting 5H split rings on 3/0 trebles. It's all in the technique. Put the ring on the hook, not the hook on the ring. Think about it. Then try it. You will see the results as you develop your "technique"

6 minutes ago, Charleston said:

I use the same Texas Tackle pliers and have no problem putting 5H split rings on 3/0 trebles. It's all in the technique. Put the ring on the hook, not the hook on the ring. Think about it. Then try it. You will see the results as you develop your "technique"

It is much easier to use XL Texas Tackle pliers. You don't need any special technique. :)

The XL pliers is developed to open big treble hooks.

Edited by ksong

I'd say stay away from the rapala  jobs... I found a pair somebody left on a pier one night.. jaws miss aligned from first time I tried to use them.. maybe dude left them there on purpose me thinks