Daveyj74

Ligthest rod and reel setup?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Looking for a rod and reel setup for the canal. I need it to be as light as possible. I plan on mainly throwing lures under three ounces. Reason being my hands are crap.....lol

10'6 mojo 1-4 handles lighter plugs in the canal well. Its a fairly light rod, throws everything from Sp minnows to 2oz pencils with ease. I keep mine as a backup rod. Friends have had days with multiple 20+ lb. fish and one 50" bass. It handled all with ease. You really cant go too light in the canal or you wont have the backbone to fight a large fish against heavy current. An 8k Saragosa would pair up nicely.

Davey how about waiting to all the shows then the rods will be there for you to see and hold.

You can then ask the manufacturer your reel size questions. 

The rissa show would be my best recommendation. 

Not saying you have to buy there.but they will have everything to see.

8 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Thats great advice right there^^^

i think you might be under gunned with the 4k battle ,

+1 on the "under gunned" comment from Shark.

Fishing the ditch requires gear that's heavier than most striper anglers are used to, for a couple of reasons:

1.  up to 5-knot currents during moon tides

2.  tossing lead heads of 4 to 5 oz, even during non-moon-tide periods, and 6 oz or more at times

3.  bringing a fish in as quickly as possible, in order to optimize successful release (of a fish that hasn't been "played" for 10-15 minutes due to too-light gear)

4.  during crowded conditions, not totally pi$$ing off everybody down current of you while you futz around with your fish on too-light gear. 

We are more than happy to stop casting while someone has a good fish on.  That goes out the effing window if you expect us to wait too long for you several times in a row, because we all will soon see what's going on and will cast over your line with a fish on.  (You could take that as a hint.)

HTH

Fishing the canal really is a heavy tackle deal. Most of the plugs and jigs guys are using are on the heavier side. That said, even if you choose to throw lighter lures (SP Minnow, 2oz pencil) you still need the tackle capable of handling the size of the fish and power of the currents.

Its all a game of balancing the weight and capabilities of your gear.

My new set up this year is a 10'6" TFO (2-6oz) and a BG5000. I can sling an sp pretty good and feel comfortable with a 5oz gag, but I think a 6500 may be better for jigging the canal and am getting a Slammer 3 6500 (used from the BST). 

That said and to answer your original question, the 10'6" and BG5k is very light and 3oz seems to be the sweet spot for plugs.