TheNapeaguePissMan

$5 two-tube belt plug bag CHEAPO HACK MOVE

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share a cheap hack that I've been using to fish with. It holds up, I live in amagansett and fish montauk a lot which I guess is a good gear testing ground. This is for fishing with six to eight slim plugs. I personally like to travel light. I make my selection at my truck based on conditions and head out to my spot. SPs, bombers, SS darters and needles, pencil poppers, spooks, etc. will fit three or four per tube. Large wood like a metal lip or large bottle plugs will only fit a single plug per tube. Maybe one large and one slim. When big plugs are needed is about the only time I will reach for a true shoulder sling plug bag. I much rather have everything on my belt.

Anyway, I had a two paintball pod holder made by JT Paintball. It's a $5 cheapo item but what is essential is that it has a full Velcro flap closure and is made out of something like cordura. Cutting drainage holes in the pods and pod holder is the only modification needed. With the two tubes and a tactical anglers belt pouch for bucktails, rubber shad and tins I have everything I need to throw. Of course you can spend 20x as much with purpose made belt tube holders but these honestly work. Haven't lost anything, haven't had any issues. As we all know, a lot of guys like to have the expensive custom gear and plugs and I'm sure there is a place for some of that stuff, but it won't help you catch fish any better! This is a great DIY solution to get you out there if you're just starting out or if you're on a budget.

Here's a link:

http://www.jtpaintball.com/product/183/jt-2-pod-harness

Paintball pods are very similar in size to plug tubes so look around at other paintball gear. Surf fishing is a niche activity so companies that cater to the surf fisherman have no choice but to charge a lot to stay afloat. Yes there are high quality products being made that are worth every penny but again, this will do the job and costs less than a cheap plastic lure. I will upload photos later though you can probably imagine what it looks like...

Edited by TheNapeaguePissMan

Here are a couple photos. I did notice after posting that the image of the current model on the JT site has two individual flaps vs the one single large one you see below on mine. Unsure if that would effect its performance in the surf but don't want to mislead anyone. My hunch is one single flap is more secure. Regardless, there are plenty of other similar paintball pod holders at similar prices - it doesn't have to be JT. Hunt around Amazon for something that looks similar. 

IMG_9896.JPG

IMG_9898.JPG

Supposedly the generic 140 is 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 10 7/8 inches in length & they go for anywhere between $1.5 to $3 each.

Not much diff $ than poly tubes, fluorescent tube covers, etc, but just drill some drainage holes in these & yr ready to go

Wonder how long they may last, salt water, banged around, tho never fish 'em during the day so no UV.

Searched harnesses, etc., but didn't see any as nice as TNPM's ...

The device does come with paintball pods which I notched and actually have the added benefit of a hinged lid. However I left the pods out east at my dads and needed to fish Moriches before going out there to get them. The ones pictured are actually two upside down bottles of smart water (thick plastic and right shape) with with the bottoms cut off and the lids left off for drainage. Worked very well and have used them twice now in a pinch. However something more rigid like what comes with the paintball harness is probably better.

If you're looking for DIY tubes, get some plastic shipping tube online or at a local acrylic store. The water bottles work well but are even a little lowbrow for me hahaha

The round tube size & the loss of space around the tube vs square tubes w/no loss of space in the tube has distressed us plug bag users for some time now.

My wife's generic small 'spring' water bottle is ~2.5" in diameter & cuttable to 5.5" high.

Cost each in NYS = 5 cents, when we bought them in the nation's' capital they were free, as DC has no bottle deposit regulations !!!

Tight lines with all those plugs ...

American ingenuity at its finest!    ...upside down water bottles...  brilliant!  If I ever get swept off of a rock at Montauk and wind up floating in the rip, I hope you're out there with me!  :hi5:

Thanks for passing this on TNPM.