archer292

Small Torque II

10 posts in this topic

Probably not, just like the first one. Too bad they didnt make a smaller verison especially after all the same questions and requests I saw from the first torque. Also probably has something to do with not enough demand to warrant a smaller verison.

If you are looking for a small torque and buy the VR50 you will be disappointed. There is no comparing the Torque to the VR reel. 

I may may buy a VR50 for testing, but based on my experience this line has been disappointing. The slammer 3 4500 has been very good. Light, smooth, and excellent drag. Many, many shore Albies off the rocks and it exceeded expectations. 

I would certainly buy buy a smaller Torque if it was offered, but I wouldn’t expect the VR to compare, it just doesn’t. 

On 12/25/2017 at 3:19 PM, ged said:

If you are looking for a small torque and buy the VR50 you will be disappointed. There is no comparing the Torque to the VR reel. 

I may may buy a VR50 for testing, but based on my experience this line has been disappointing. The slammer 3 4500 has been very good. Light, smooth, and excellent drag. Many, many shore Albies off the rocks and it exceeded expectations. 

I would certainly buy buy a smaller Torque if it was offered, but I wouldn’t expect the VR to compare, it just doesn’t. 

What do you like and dislike about the VR 50 ?  Is it worth a buy?

22 mins ago, mike3dr said:

What do you like and dislike about the VR 50 ?  Is it worth a buy?

It's hard to say if a reel that was only released a few weeks ago is "worth a buy"   It's at least worth a trip to the store to give it a feel.

But if the little VR50 is anything like it's bigger VR siblings it will be a winner.

I agree that a small torque would also be nice.

Edited by recoil

I don’t own a VR 50, but I have owned a VR150 (3), a VR200 and currently own a Subaqua (which is a prototype VR) and a VR150. 

I sent a VR back last week due to water intrusion and pinion radial bearing damage suffered during Albie season. I have had issues with the drags on every VR reel. The PENN is no comparison, better in every way. Much smoother that the VR. 

Anyone that hat thinks the VR compares should read the review Alan hawk did on the generation 1 Torque. Add that PENN is made in america and is backed by one of the best customer service departments (even have their forum on several boards). 

It was Alan Hawks glowing review of the Torque that made me purchase my Torque 7, fantastic reel and I'm looking for another.

ged, I don't understand your disdain for the VR since you say you own 4 of them!

BTW, Mr. Hawk always gives a professional, unbiased review and he considers the VR to be the best of the Van Staals!

I have a Subaqua and a VR (that is used by guests I fish with). The VR has a terrible drag, just like Alan Hawk found when he tested the RK Design Blue Marlin with the same crappy drag. $500 is too much for a reel that has a bad drag. 

The Torque has been flawless. 

Recoil, PM me about the T7. I have a good place to get one.