FatTailWagging

What line for test casting (30# or 40#)?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I am at the stage of test casting my new (first) rod build, a 9’ spinning rod with KR layout, that I plan to use with 30# and sometime 40# Superslick Power Pro line. 

For setting up the guides, mainly the location of the stripper guide, which of these lines would be “worst case”?  In other words, which line can I set the rod up for and know the other will work?

Or is the difference to small to notice and I am overthinking this?

What KR reduction combo did you use?   This will affect casting as the smaller guide layouts ( 25-12-7m-7 vs 20-10-6m-6 etc...)  are designed for lighter braid and smaller reels.    Provided you used the larger of the 2 layouts the difference between 30 and 40 should be nominal.    

On 10/8/2017 at 8:33 PM, spoonplugger1 said:

With something that small and limp, I wouldn't concern myself one way or the other.

This. With braid, I wouldn't worry about a difference, as far as guide setup goes, between 12 and 50 or even 80 lb. test. All braids are limp -- insert your favorite Richard Simmons joke here! :D -- and that flaccidity make guide setup pretty easy, at least in my experiences. 

KR Concept was introduced as a "braid" concept by Fuji rather than the "micro" concept many people thought it was. They didn't talk about KR beyond 20# braid but we have developed layouts that easily handle 30#.  Beyond that, KR will work but choose the larger 25 as a stripper and then consider pushing it out to give it a chance to control the line. Hybrids (like Mike's) or a well designed NGC will usually give you better performance with stiffer 40-80# braid.