Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

My Penn Reel Immersion story

3 posts in this topic

Dear Penn Fishing,

Let me share a little story with you.  I have a residence on the island of Chokoloskee in Florida.  It was flooded, along with everyone else's when Irma pelted us with 80-90 miles an hour winds followed by a 10 foot storm surge.  We survived the wind, the surge not so much.  We lost nearly everything.  And all I could think about were my brand new reels, in their boxes, in the shed.  That was about September 10th.  About the 21st my son got down there to salvage what he could.  I told him where to look and indeed he found a storage bin, filled with fishing equipment, and filled to the brim with saltwater and marl.  He threw everything away that looked  ruined.  My Penn reels came home.  Muddy, crusty with salt, but turning smoothly.  I was astounded!!!  My spinfisher V 3500, 4500 were alive!!!  My 750SSm is alive!!!  the arms to the bail, on the side opposite the line bearing is crustier than crap, will have to sand that a bit  but otherwise I am putting these reels back into service after spending at least two week immersed in a saltwater cocktail.  Now I can't recommend anyone else do this, but I am happy and thankful they made it out alive.  I lost most of my plugs, jigs, etc.  I got some rods back that had been stored high, but will start rebuilding my saltwater gear again. Thanks Penn,Ii will always be a customer.  Scott

PS, several other reels came home...a couple are fair but several went in the trash.  None of them made out as well as my Penn reels.  

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, ScottO said:

Dear Penn Fishing,

Let me share a little story with you.  I have a residence on the island of Chokoloskee in Florida.  It was flooded, along with everyone else's when Irma pelted us with 80-90 miles an hour winds followed by a 10 foot storm surge.  We survived the wind, the surge not so much.  We lost nearly everything.  And all I could think about were my brand new reels, in their boxes, in the shed.  That was about September 10th.  About the 21st my son got down there to salvage what he could.  I told him where to look and indeed he found a storage bin, filled with fishing equipment, and filled to the brim with saltwater and marl.  He threw everything away that looked  ruined.  My Penn reels came home.  Muddy, crusty with salt, but turning smoothly.  I was astounded!!!  My spinfisher V 3500, 4500 were alive!!!  My 750SSm is alive!!!  the arms to the bail, on the side opposite the line bearing is crustier than crap, will have to sand that a bit  but otherwise I am putting these reels back into service after spending at least two week immersed in a saltwater cocktail.  Now I can't recommend anyone else do this, but I am happy and thankful they made it out alive.  I lost most of my plugs, jigs, etc.  I got some rods back that had been stored high, but will start rebuilding my saltwater gear again. Thanks Penn,Ii will always be a customer.  Scott

PS, several other reels came home...a couple are fair but several went in the trash.  None of them made out as well as my Penn reels.  

Scott, Thanks for sharing your story and glad you made out safe. 

tony.