AKR28

Question on How Long Albies Stay Around in RI

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello main forum team noting I also posted this on the RI Forum !

My first year chasing Albies with the fly rod....I now understand why this is so addicting....so far a successful trip to the west wall on 10-7 (two great fish) and a not so successful trip to Block Island September 23-24 (many fish seen but no hook ups)...

Question is and understanding October 21st is two weeks away...do Albies usually stick around Block Island that long ? I am assuming they will have left Martha's Vineyard by then...

Thank you.

Kent from NH

Kent. I would edit your post. Locals are a little salty with locations.  (But the fishing is good in RI, plenty of fish there)

At this time of year, there are albacore proper and little tunny, a/k/a false albacore.  I assume from the west wall reference that you mean the latter, but best be specific.

I'm in New York and aware of the West Wall, so, yes, it's crispy as heck. 

The deal with albies is we're now in a period of time that if there are no drastic weather events, they could be around until the beginning of Nov, while on the other hand, give us a couple of days of a hard NE wind and it's OVAH!!!!

Aside from the weather, not sure how many will be around taking into account the amount of dead albies I saw being taken by the scup crowds. Pretty disturbing never seen it until this year, guys had buckets full of albies, super lame. 

Looks like they will be sticking around for longer than usual. There is a fair amount of southwest winds making the water warm enough for albies to stick around.

7 hours ago, ged said:

Kent. I would edit your post. Locals are a little salty with locations.  (But the fishing is good in RI, plenty of fish there)

You are misinformed.

There are no fish in Rhode Island.

(Great fishing at the CC Canal though. :box:)

It's been a great year to see the speedsters.  Kent, I'm guessing you're boating for albies if you're from NH.  Just check in with the local shops before you head down.  October 21 is a safe bet that you can find a few, but as mentioned, it only takes a 2 day shift to send them away.