Fish caught on weed fouled plugs/lures

Rate this topic

beret

Anyone catch on a weed fouled plug or lure..........many times when I retrieve my plug it may have a strand or two or three of weed......I always stop to clean it off but wonder is that different than a tail or siwash and would the fish know the difference..........curious what you guys think........

Interesting question and I have often thought about it, but it will have to remain speculation unless someone wants to start adding a little ''salad'' on their lure when they fish to test it out. There is no way to know when a fish bites whether your lure was clean or not.

To answer your query, no, but I will tell you this. One dark night I was using spooks and metal lipped swimmers , dragging in floatsome trash. I could hear the fish slapping and crashing out there. In my bag was a super heavy sinking blurple needle that I've never used before. Casted as hard as I could, got over the floating carpet of crap, let it sink then twitched. One of my best nights ever. Fowled swimmer, eel with a moustache,not good. Needle in the weeds, twitched , yes for me.

There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something you do it only when it is convenient. When you are committed to something you accept no excuses and produce only results. Author unknown.

There was a similar thread a few years back (and there will be more), and it got me thinking how I never caught on a weeded lure. Then, maybe 2 nights later, I was fishing a river that had sea grass floating in it. I was catching a few fish, here and there, on the casts that I stayed grass free. But catching nothing when I snagged grass. This got me thinking about the discussion thread and I started immediately cranking my lure in whenever I felt the tap'n'drag of picking up grass. Then it happened: I felt my lure pick up grass, I said dammit, and began burning my medium-big wooden lure in. But just as I started, a good sized bass swallowed it. When I landed it, the ample amount of grass was still attached.

That was the only time I know of that I caught a striper with any more than a slight amount of salad attached.

I have caught a few LMB when the lure was being dragged through weeds on purpose, though..totally different game

Your lure might have had some weed on it when the fish hit it and the stuff might have come off in the battle. On the other hand you might land a fish with some weed on the lure but you might have picked it up 10ft from shore. You just can't be sure either way. Certainly a lot weed will make a difference but a strand or two, who knows?

Almost never.

Have I caught a handful I was "reasonably sure" had fouled at least a little before strike? Sure. But honestly it might be countable on one hand.

On the other hand is every other night out there, when casts that I feel pick up weed never get hit. Many hits on weedy nights come early in retieve when then are clean.

There also may be a difference between one lonely blade trailing on plug.. and a 3 pound mop of crap draped over the entire thing 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

not sure if something has ever taken something way out with some small amount of weed on it - maybe school bass in or close to the surf (?) but if i know i've picked up any quantity of weed or have even a single strand on the line or lure when it comes in - religiously - like i was "taught" as a kid - i carefully remove every single piece and send back a clean lure.